The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tiger LCD Mega Man 2 WRIST WATCH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Brag section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Tiger LCD Mega Man 2 WRIST WATCH Reply with quote

i recently won this (and possibly outbid a few of our own members here). as a huge Mega Man fan and a huge Tiger LCD handheld fan, my jaw literally hit the floor when i saw this watch on eBay. i have never seen it before and didn't know it existed at all.

under the assumption that it's a prototype, i asked the seller a few questions but didn't get much information. he got it as a kid in 1990/91 from a school friend and does not remember if it came in a blister package (factory run) or if it came in a regular watch box (which screams prototype to me).

the night before the auction ended, i had a dream that i bid $278.00 and won. i'm happy to say that the next day, that's exactly what happened, although i got it a bit cheaper.

there next to nothing on the internet regarding this watch (other than presumably the same guy trying to sell it on a Capcom message board, and he was pretty much ignored), so i will be soon providing HHM with more photos and some gameplay info.

judging from a quick look of the complete sprite matrix, seems like only 3/8 of the bosses (Bubble Man, Heat Man, and Quick Man) are in the game, as well as the Dragon, Dr. Wily ship, and final boss Alien Hologram.

this will be my last big-ticket gaming purchase, as i have my first baby being born in late October / early November, so i'm glad i went out with a bang! ...for now. Very Happy

all that said, i believe this watch found the best home possible. Yessss!
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after spending some days playing this game watch, if i've learned one thing, it's very challenging. the combination of the actual game, tiny size, and sweat build-up in my hands has me dying pretty much in the same spot every time.

controls:
* left button: move onto the platform if it's there, or turn around and face to the left if it isn't.
* center button: fire your weapon
* right button: walk to the right, or move off the platform when on it.

game rules:
you have only 1 life, and 4 energy units. so after you take 4 hits, you die and the game ends. if you manage to beat the stage boss, you (automatically) pick up an energy capsule and the energy units refill for the next stage.

there are two "regular" enemies:
(1) a robotic crab, which if you don't quickly take out with one shot, will end up behind you and pinch away one of your 4 energy units.
(2) a robotic bat, which you can only kill from the platform. otherwise it swoops down and hits you from behind.
note: both enemies share the same "spawn" sprite, so when it first appears you can't tell which of the two it is. however, i've noticed a pattern where it's 2 of one, then 2 of the other, etc. this pattern will occasionally change up and throw you off.

since i have not beaten the game (yet), this is what i know of the
stage bosses...

stage bosses:
stage 1 boss: Heat man, requires 2 hits to defeat.
stage 2 boss: Quick man, requires 2 hits to defeat.
stage 3 boss: Bubble man, requires 2 hits to defeat.
in stage 4, you fight all three previous bosses (in the same order) and somewhere between that point and whatever is next is where i always die.

stage boss (robot master) behavior:
the three robot masters first appear on the right. he will shoot, then jump in the air and shoot again. he will then land on the left and shoot at you once more. if you don't successfully hit him twice, he disappears and a couple more 'regular' enemies come at you until the cycle repeats again and you either defeat him or lose.

note:
unlike the two handheld Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3 games, you don't cycle through weapons manually. whichever boss was defeated last is what Mega Man automatically switches his weapon to: Mega Buster bullets -> atomic fire (Heat Man's weapon) -> quick boomerang (Quick Man's weapon) -> bubble lead (Bubble Man's weapon)
the Mega Buster and the bubble lead share the same sprites, the only difference is that for shooting the bubble lead, Mega Man's open hand briefly appears as he is "throwing" the weapon and not shooting it out of his arm cannon.

theory:
i am going to assume that stage 4 ends with the robotic dragon, and that there's a stage 5 that has the robotic dragon (again), Dr. Wily's ship, and then the Alien Hologram. otherwise, all that crap is in stage 4. if that's the case, then stage 4 is way too long and difficult to handle with only 4 screw-ups before you die and lose the game.

verdict:
this game is really challenging. perhaps i would normally brush it off but since it is a beautifully detailed Mega Man title, perhaps that's why i keep playing it.

here is a photo from the eBay auction i won (i uploaded it to my photobucket account). i tried taking my own shots but they all come out blurry.

bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: update! Reply with quote

This game is not a prototype. It was sold by Tiger Electronics under "GIG - In Wonderland" an Italian distributor, with a copyright date of 1991. The package confirms that there are only 4 levels of play, and also mentions 3 weapons (pistol, boomerang, and laser).

It is sealed and on eBay right now for $981, which I cannot afford. $189 and I'd go for it!

here is the photo from the auction:

Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! It's amazing what's out there.

I've never seen anything like a comprehensive list of Tiger games. I imagine collecting or cataloguing them is like trying to put together a puzzle when you don't know how many pieces there are, what the picture is supposed to look like, and there's no border.
contrafan
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are partially correct about this rare LCD game's distribution. GIG - In Wonderland distributed it in Italy, yes, but it was probably sold in many other regions too. GIW probably was responsible for handling it in Italy; there may be other companies that distributed it for other countries/regions.

I considered this possibility when I made some recent discoveries about Konami's LCD Contra game. They had specific distribution companies for its release in Spain and UK, at least. There are probably others. Maybe the wrist watch unit that you have, since you bought it loose, was from another region?
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen a few more of these pop up since i posted this topic, most were still sealed. i think only one sold (to a reseller) because it popped back up at a higher price.

now that i know there are some floating out there, i feel like i spent waaaaaay too much on the loose one (even moreso now than before). my goal is to nab a sealed one for under $100 since they don't really sell.

you hear that, resellers? the demand is low. so satisfy demand low.

if not, sit on it. Wink
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Mega Man 2 watch. I wouldn't mind one of those to go with Nintendo Mega Man items.

I do NOT collect watches, I repeat I do not collect watches, but every now and then I pick one up. I tend to pay asking price because I hate haggling, but on this one I almost submitted an offer to see if they would accept a lower price. I then notice there were other offers already submitted so I just bought it. Not because I collect watches(because I don't), but I think it goes well with the VTECH Burglar variety game. Anyway I really like it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vtec.....SwhQ5XQePp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Brag section! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: