The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Colorvision - Monster Chase Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Colorvision - Monster Chase Question Reply with quote

I've got a Colorvision that I'm not sure is working properly. I've only got one game to test t with -> Monster Chase.

When I play monster chase, horizontal joystick movement does nothing. However when I move the joystick up and down, the character moves left or right. Is this normal, or should the horizontal joystick movements do something in this game?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the games use a little black square places around the joystick to restrict its movement to only two directions, so it's possible that everything is okay... Can you actually play the game completely?
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Some of the games use a little black square places around the joystick to restrict its movement to only two directions, so it's possible that everything is okay... Can you actually play the game completely?

Game seems to play ok, I cant get past the first stage as it's a bit difficult for a novice. But the game seems to play correctly (gameplay wise).

The thing is, the character in the game can only go left or right, that looks like how its meant to be, so no issues there. The issue is , with the joystick movement restrictor off - I can only get the character to go left or right by moving the joystick up or down. Moving the joystick left or right does nothing. So the game is playable, but super strange that up/down on the joystick moves the character left/right whereas left/right on the joystick does nothing.

That's what I wanted to check with someone else, ie whether this is normal for this game? or whether there is an issue with the joystick?
EmeraldR
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check the tabs under the joy stick. Some of the tabs might be broken. The movements for this game are, up=left down=right left=left right=right. I checked some of mine and one has the issue that I'm talking about with that game. Hope this helps.
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmeraldR wrote:
You should check the tabs under the joy stick. Some of the tabs might be broken. The movements for this game are, up=left down=right left=left right=right. I checked some of mine and one has the issue that I'm talking about with that game. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'll see if I can get it open and check the tabs as you suggest.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to think of a logical reason why up=left, down=right... Now I think I see what they've done. The game should use the restrictor to block joystick movement up and down (so only left/right works). But I guess the game programmed the left/right movement into all 4 directions...

So, yeah, I'd take a look at the joystick... There's rubber pads under the joystick, and these frequently get dirty (and also destroyed) from use. You may have to clean these... If they are worn out completely, you may have to replace it. Getting an actual Colorvision one is probably not going to happen, but you might be able to salvage one from another game that you can make fit.

If you just have the one game, it might be one that can be rotated so the good pads are under left/right so you can play this game more normally, but you'll still have a problem later if you get a game that needs all the directions.

My quick notes for disassembly:
There's 10 screws on the bottom, and the 4 around the battery compartment are different than the other 6, watch that when putting it back together.
On the control circuit board there's 4 large screws that hold it to the game, and 2 small screws that hold the joystick assembly in. Again, just pay attention to what screws go where.

Also, the two small square buttons are slightly different, pay attention to which one goes in which hole (one is taller than the other).

Rik
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thanks Rik for the tip, I'll keep a tab on the screws and buttons as you suggest.
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I noticed upon more closer inspection that the joystick was pretty loose when moving it in the left/right directions. Up/dpwn seemed to have much more resistance. Then I shook it and heard like bits of plastic or something rattling. I suspected EmeraldR was spot on with his broken joystick tabs guess , so I opened it up and sure enough, the left and right tabs on the joystick were broken.

Anyway , I fixed it up as best I could and it all works fine now. Thanks very much guys for all your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: