The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hi I'm new and I'm planning to get the games I had as a kid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member-X
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Hi I'm new and I'm planning to get the games I had as a kid Reply with quote

As can be seen I just registered. The reason I joined this forum is cause I've been thinking about getting the handhelds I had as a kid.

I had so many. The first one I got when I was around 8 years old. That's 30 years ago... Shocked
A brand new Donkey Kong Game & Watch (as a christmas present or my birthday). It was from my uncle who always bought me a tad more expensive gifts.

At first I only had the guy in the game to dodge balls (jump) (!!), I didn't dare to move him. Maybe I was afraid to break such an expensive gift. I remember my brother saying; Why don't you move, you're just standing there in one place.

As time went by I bought a few more. I had to save my weekly allowance (10-20 Finnish marks) and wait till I had enough. A two screen G&W cost around 150 marks or so.

There was a shop in Helsinki that was run by two or more Japanese guys.
And they sold only handheld games! (Very friendly and they spoke both Finnish and Swedish.) That was something like heaven for a little kid from the countryside back in 1980's. I must have lit up like a lamp when I entered that store. I'm talking about Nintendo, Bandai etc from the floor to the ceiling.

One day the shop had disapeared and I almost started crying. Crying or Very sad

There's one game I regret not buying. Burgertime. What's the going rate for that one these days?
It's been in my head for 30 years.

I'm hoping to find a few of my old "friends" and get some tips about where to get them etc. And to make some friends of other gamers.
Also in their midlife crisis.. Laughing Laughing

I've also started to collect comics I had as a kid.

Then there's a few games you peeps migh be able to help me recognize/name, we'll see later on.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi I'm new and I'm planning to get the games I had as a Reply with quote

Member-X wrote:
There was a shop in Helsinki that was run by two or more Japanese guys.
And they sold only handheld games! (Very friendly and they spoke both Finnish and Swedish.) That was something like heaven for a little kid from the countryside back in 1980's. I must have lit up like a lamp when I entered that store. I'm talking about Nintendo, Bandai etc from the floor to the ceiling.

I would love to see a picture of that! Cool I always wish I had thought to take a camera into Toys R Us, Wal-Mart or the various mall toy stores back in the 70s and 80s and just taken pictures of the entire store (or at least the isles I cared about). I can still remember seeing entire isles of Mattel sports games, Coleco mini-arcades, even the white Tiger games. But it's nearly impossible to find pictures of the stores from that era now... Just an occasional newspaper shot or something, but usually not focused on exactly what I want to see.

Member-X wrote:
There's one game I regret not buying. Burgertime. What's the going rate for that one these days?
It's been in my head for 30 years.

Depends on which one you have to have... The version released by Mattel or Tandy (Radio Shack) is pretty inexpensive (maybe $20-30 loose?). I think the Bandai-branded one is significantly more expensive (and harder to find). It's all the same game, just with a different company name on it.

Mattel:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Mattel/BT.htm
Tandy/Radio Shack:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tandy/Burgertime.htm

Mattel released it in the US, I'm not sure about the Tandy release, Canada maybe... Bandai released it Japan, that's likely where the owners of the shop got it. Sounds like they might have been importing a lot of Japanese games and selling them.

Member-X wrote:
Then there's a few games you peeps might be able to help me recognize/name, we'll see later on.

If you can describe it, I'm sure someone here can identify it... Mr. Green
Member-X
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few "what's that game" -questions. I might as well start here.

First a game that looked a lot like this one except it was blue:

To be honest I can't even remember what it was about. I hope I'm vague enough.

Next one should be easier. A dirt bike game that wasn't a lcd screen game, it had some sort of "roll/thread mill" system with a piece of bacground scrolling behind the bike. In other words it was mechanical. Like this one.

The game was black with a silver/crome like line. The control was a yellow "half steering wheel" on the right side.
The bike could bump into all kinds of barrels and stuff. It didn't work properly so I never got to play it as such.

It's amazing how many games I've rediscovered by looking at games in the museum. I had forgotten I had had Konami's Double Dribble.

Talking about photos, I had a Kodak disc camera when I was a kid.

I had it with me on some school camp along with my Vtech Deep Diver game. I had saved my money and bought both as new.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can find a Burger Time around 30 euro's. Mattel's one is easiest to find. Try to save some more cash and get the VFD one. That is one of the most amazing handheld toys ever!

That shop in Helsinki sounds really cool. Was it never covered in a TV show? We have pretty good TV archives, and I found some nice coverage of handhelds in old TV programs.
Oh and like my upcoming book about the games on www.2kboffun.com to stay updated. It will contain both Burger Times and plot synopses.
Member-X
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blanka wrote:
I think you can find a Burger Time around 30 euro's. Mattel's one is easiest to find. Try to save some more cash and get the VFD one. That is one of the most amazing handheld toys ever!

It has to be the Bandai one and boxed. That box' cover art has stayed with me for the last 30 years.

blanka wrote:
That shop in Helsinki sounds really cool. Was it never covered in a TV show?.

I have absolutely no idea. We are talking about 30 years ago.... Laughing

Foreigners in Finland with a shop was very rare in those days. Helsinki wasn't exactly NY. In other words not your most international city. I'd dare to say our country was a tad in the "backwoods" in those days. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Memories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: