The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
help me track down or find out if this game was real

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigerhandhelds1989
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: help me track down or find out if this game was real Reply with quote

it was used in an episode of The X-Files: Season 3 Episode 19 titled "Hell Money." The scene is exactly 1 minute and 35 seconds into the episode i took a snapshot of it. Its a fairly good closeup too as you'll see is this a real game or a prop? I'm honestly not sure any help would be appreciated.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the game is real, but I don't think it had a display like that... It likely would have been the normal gray/black LCD seen in handheld games. That display looks a little too high-resolution to be used in a cheap handheld game...

[Edit] Yeah, here it is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380528888123

Definitely had a much simpler LCD in it, the screen used in the show was either put in after filming, or they installed a custom screen in it.
tigerhandhelds1989
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why I thought it was fake it looked to bright
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just "might" be a "real" game. Could be a "modern remake" of a older style game. Notice that the buttons are in style with the display screen. The Black Jack sticker is what seems out of place.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the 'modern' ones don't look that impressive... Smile And, keep in mind, this episode was nearly 20 years ago...

I went back to watch it in action in the episode, I'm pretty sure the display is taken from a green monochrome CRT monitor (or maybe just completely CGI, but it kind of has a filmed CRT feel to it). The actual prop probably just had green-screen (or blue-screen) colored material where the screen is, and they composited the display in afterwards... The green is too solid, there two different shades of green (really bright for the 'white' areas of the cards, and the darker green), and it's just too clean and changes too fast to be LCD. Reminds me of the kind of displays/graphics cash registers had at the time (the ones that had monitors, at least).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: