The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Burger King / Activision / Barnstorming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Burger King / Activision / Barnstorming Reply with quote

I don't see anything here or anywhere else really pertaining to the Burger King Activision games (Barnstorming, Tennis, Kaboom and Grand Prix).

I picked up a Barnstorming and it's got me curious exactly how to play it. As I recall in the Atari game you dodge the oncoming birds and are supposed to fly through the barns, hence the name. In this little LCD version, hitting a bird or a barn with both kill you. There are only about 3 positions on the screen you can occupy and sometimes there's a barn on the bottom and birds on all the top spaces so you have to hit one or the other. So basically, it's a broken game because you play for 5 seconds, hit something, then die. Unless I'm missing something really obvious? The only controls on the game are one button for "UP" and one button for "DOWN."
drichardson
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know these even existed. I just picked up Barnstorming and Kaboom! for practically nothing on ebay.

I'll see about getting some photos and scanning the manuals when they get here.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember getting these when they came out. Not sure if I kept them or not...

Just taking a guess, when in the lowest position (where you hit the barn), trying pressing 'down' again just before hitting the barn... Maybe that's the move that makes you fly through (even if it doesn't change on the screen)?
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that a shot!
drichardson
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finally got them. Here's a scan of the instruction sheet for Barnstorming:

http://neocomputer.org/handhel.....manual.png

My antique scanner isn't very good. You should still be able to make out the important text. If not, I'll try to get a better image.

Anyhow, you can't fly through the barns. Horrible, I know.

It does make a little bit of sense. As there are no windmills, all you'd need to do to "win" would be to stay at the lowest level (where there would be no obstacles in your way) and fly freely through any barns.

Ignore the cartoon pilot diving in to a barn on the sticker just below the display. It's just a filthy, dirty, lie.
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the scan! Can you do the rest!

So they're saying you have to dodge everything. That doesn't work when all the obstacles are in a vertical line!

Non-replaceable batteries. That limits the life of these units doesn't it?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was a weird decision on these... There's been a bunch of games from I think McDonald's as well like this...

They are, technically, replaceable, but you need a triangle-shaped screw driver (like the old Mattel sports games). You can find them in packs of security screwdriver bits sometimes (I have a couple), so you can open the game and replace the battery.

I suspect it was partly safety related since these games are for kids, and kids swallowing button-cell batteries (or the plastic 'door') wouldn't be a good thing... Still, they could have just used normal screws to hold the game together and left it up to the parents to try to replacement them...

As a collector, I had to open them all up and remove the batteries anyway or they will eventually corrode and destroy the game. Like the Mattel re-issues of Football, Baseball, etc- you can't keep these sealed in their packages... You have to open them and remove the batteries somehow...
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the rest of the set. While playing Grand Prix I figured out the secret. If there are cars coming at you in 2 lanes at the same time, and they are both equally close to you, if you sit in either lane you will get hit. But if you shift from one lane to the other just as they reach you, you will not get hit, even though you are moving into a lane with an oncoming car. I guess you are "swerving between them." As long as there isn't a second car behind the first.

That technique works for Barnstorming too. Even if every oncoming lane is filled, as long as you move at the last second you will not get hit.

Kaboom and Tennis are a little too easy, all you have to do is move to the correct one of 3 spaces and you will survive. Kaboom seemed a lot harder on the Atari.

All in all they are enjoyable for a Kids' Meal toy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: