The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Life in the fast lane or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Life in the fast lane or not? Reply with quote

I have been a member in this excellent source of "vintage" gaming item information for awhile now and I check in to see what's NEW from time to time.

Seems that most of the few places I visit on the net are getting less busy as more people "get busy" with keeping up with the rat race.

I myself retired from that race long ago as it was a bit fast paced for my personal likes.

I spend most of my time within the limits of my property as it was designed and became "somewhere" that I could move at a pace that I was comfortable with.

I spend a bit of time and funds playing on eBay as it is still the worlds largest garage sale. I also get out and about when my presence is required elsewhere or I feel like hitching up the buggy and heading into town for whatever.

As we get older in years we find that we can't run as fast as we did in the past and the thought of leaping into the air doesn't get very far off the ground.

I see the world around me getting busier and faster as this mostly plastic based society tries to keep up with the stars, celebrities, idols and what not.

In the 70's we had "road rage" In the 80's we had "going postal". Then there were the varied trends, fads, rituals and such that continue to this day and will move on until this modern advanced society becomes a thing of history as history has shown of former empires, popular themes and ideals.

What is to be done about this? The path to happiness is in the mind of the person traveling the road of life.

Life is what we make it
Many just try and fake it
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can clearly see the web moving from a very decentralised place (thousands of user communities with forums etc) to a very centralised place: All shopping through the wallet of Jeff Bezos, all chatting over the lines of Mark Sugarmountain, and the two-headed monster of Leisure Suit Larry Page and his brother being trusted on answers to all our questions. It is quite ridiculous. Some try to fight it by going off-grid. I think it is really time that a good decentralised system comes to replace the near-dead HTTP protocol.

My hope is on the EU, and I really hope they will put the chainsaw in Google, Amazon and a bunch of other too-big companies controlling the web right now.

When I go to one of the Retro Game Fairs in the Netherlands, I meet tons of enthusiasts. Where the hell are they online?
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy from Minnesota Blanka, I read you loud and clear on those issues.

There is a forum called Homesteading Today where I pop in now and than when I'm in a reading mood for something a bit different then my usual preferences. It is a excellent source of information for homesteading and more basic lifestyles. Ways for doing things yourself as much as possible and being a bit more self efficient and frugal.

I myself prefer Living between the cracks of the modern society as the old children's saying says: "step on a crack and break your mothers back".

I don't find myself "stepped on" very often as it is fashionable and trendy for most to try and avoid the cracks on the path.

What I'm saying is that I'm not a fan of the "off grid" thing. I personally know a few that have that sort of plan in mind and it's still mostly just a plan with a few solar cells and LED's.

I have back up generators for when the power goes out for extended periods in storm weather damage somewhere down the power lines. I find that the electricity that comes from my electric co-op is very inexpensive compared to other forms of a power supply in the long run.

I personally view the so called going off the grid folks in much the same way I view the space cadets that are signing up to colonize the red planet MARS.

There is NO PROFIT for the machine of progress and advancement if society as a larger body goes back to a more primitive lifestyle.

The odds of beating games of chance are greater then the odds of that in my opinion.

The United Nations charter has the plans of the secret societies and when they wrote that they never expected the world wide internet. They expected another money making world war for the privileged and stinking filthy rich.

When you have people in most of the world that can buy and sell to each other through venues such as eBay and can visit in many ways on the NET. It is a bit tough for the propaganda machines to spin their "the other guy is a bad guy" propaganda. Not enough interested in such notions as were popular during such eras as the so called COLD WAR and such.

Seems most these days would rather visit, do business and flirt, then make war over what is mostly constructed of propaganda and money making fear campaigns.

I don't pay chicken little much mind. I see a chicken running around thinking the end is near as a nut fell out of a tree and hit them on the noggin. Best that people like that wear a helmet or at least a tin foil hat to help protect them

Wink
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, used the wrong term. With off grid I mentioned off the net.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"never mind"

miss emily litella
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I read or posted on this thread. I find it interesting how far in the crapper the worldwide economy has gone in a year.

People are HAVING to find less expensive ways to LIVE & survive as they CAN"T get the EA$Y CREDIT as in the fast & EA$Y past.

I myself have had to slow down on my hobby and entertainment spending as it costs so much more to LIVE & survive in these daze of mass confusion, anger and EXCUSE.

I have found it interesting with what is being offered for sale and the prices and values it is still bringing. I saw a vintage system sell on eBay today shortly after listing for the $200 BIN it had. I would guess that a collector that reads this forum bought the lot as it was a nice rare lot and the S&H was not even worth mentioning as it was so low.

I'm still busy finding EXTRA hobby funds as now is the perfect time for the so called bargains if you can afford them within your lifestyle and budgets.

It is a most interesting world that we live in these daze as it's far better then any book of fiction or reality TV program that is available.

I find that these daze it is wiser to not stick your hand out in friendship to quickly as there are so MANY that are so desperate and hungry that they will most likely BITE your hand in a hungry needy greed.

The realm of popular fantasy and fiction as a means of ESCAPE from what bothers peoples inner denial is quickly catching up and there is NO escape as the substance and reality that kept it going is becoming the illusion that it truly was and is.

If you don't find this world of today more exciting then the best video game ever made then you are not playing with true & honest POWER...

I will keep playing "the BIG game" until the GAME OVER screen comes up.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully mobile phones are getting really cheap now. They dug a vast amount of our monthly budgets the last few years. I teach kids, and for example nobody buys a moped nowadays, where this took up most of their budget around 2000.
Today the iPhone is their moped, but things like the Lumia 640 tell me this era is finally coming to an end. When 150 bucks buys you as cool and as good as 700, it is a sign of the end of an era. Wonder what's up next.

And for the forums, I see a trend to discuss stuff in Facebook groups now.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have never looked at Facebook and other popular internet trends that have been around. I personally don't care for fluff and confused crowds and that is what you will find where it is BU$Y if you are aware enough to see and understand it.

I have slowed down on my hobby collecting as the hobby funds are getting all the tougher to come up with these daze as the economy catches up will all that tried to LIVE on credit that they had NO reasonable or realistic means of repaying.

Even with my being 100% debt free with a few $$$ worth the tangible items, I find that getting the CA$H is getting all the harder and even the trades are less and fewer as people run out of items that are worth something of value these days.

Most choose to be confused sheeple that just follow the fads, trends and confused crowds.

I find it very interesting that there are VERY FEW that are debt free with their own property and nest eggs.

Not many care much for my viewpoints and opinions as I don't do deceptions and lies called good very well. I have never been a fan of fantasy and fiction as they bored me personally. I was and still am more interested in Truth, Reality, Honesty, facts and other more mature in thought topics and subjects.

I do alright and get by with a little help from my friends because I have helped them in the past. When you get up in years you sometimes need a bit of extra help filling in the blanks, so to say.

I try not to bite off more then I can chew, but those things happen when the world is moving faster then most can keep up with in their various ways & means.

I find this world of today far more interesting then any video game or popular fad or trend of possible escape from what bothers people in general.

Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and FAKE it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: