The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Handheld Game ROM Dumping and Emulation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MADrigal wrote:
Emails in outbox... Smile

Three emails with attachments, please confirm after you get them.

Ball is simply the first LCD game ever designed and produced, by Gunpei Yokoi of Nintendo. I have the patent docs, not sure if thy may be useful for your project.

Cheers.

Got 'em, thanks. Yeah unfortunately same HD388xx datasheet I got Smile Hitachi was real tight with their tech data for some reason.

Maybe they wanted to sell only their assemblers?

In any event I got more games today, including Astro Thunder with the D1771 and D7528 in it. The D1771 has ironically been decapped but we're still unsure on almost everything about it.

The D7528 has no test pin so it'll be 'interesting' to see if I can get anything out of it. It might be hard enough since it's a couple years later, to need decapping.

Also got an Entex Stargate. This doodad has two CPUs in it, like Turtles, and the same two- COP411 for audio and the HD38820 for the game.

There's also a Mattel Starhawk in the bunch I got today... This thing was made by Bandai it looks- the plastic case design is nearly identical. Opening it up, the maker of both inside is the same (Kaken... is that like Gakken?).

The two Bandai games I opened have the same maker name in there (Kaken) and all three have nearly identical design traits to the Starhawk.

All three use the HD38800 as well.
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the first screenshot of Pac-Man 2 running in MESS!

http://imgur.com/tP0Zfy8

Looks like the last of the unknown opcodes on the HMCS have been figured out enough to get three games fully playable. Pac-Man 2, Galaxian 2, and Coleco Alien Attack.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Is that version of MESS available yet? I grew up on Pac Man 2, I'll happily play-test that sucker for hours... Mr. Green

I have a version of Pac Man 2 with red Pac-Mans on the VFD... Have you compared more than one version to see if there's a CPU variant? If I can unbox mine, I'll open them and look, just curious if you've already seen that one.
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Nice! Is that version of MESS available yet? I grew up on Pac Man 2, I'll happily play-test that sucker for hours... Mr. Green

I have a version of Pac Man 2 with red Pac-Mans on the VFD... Have you compared more than one version to see if there's a CPU variant? If I can unbox mine, I'll open them and look, just curious if you've already seen that one.

I am not sure when it'll be released. hopefully soon. If you install the dev version and compile it you can have it now I think. I was figuring out how to do that but been busy on other stuff.

Yes I have both. There's no difference code wise. both have the same CPU in them. The VFD is the same too, pinout and hookup wise. It's just a different pac-man colour. Confusingly the VFDs have nearly identical part numbers too.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get it to work with artwork? I have the latest dev compiled, but the driver looks like it's still just using the test layout (hh_hmcs40_test.lay), nothing specific to the individual games yet... Unless I'm overlooking something...

It works, I can hear it! Cool But it's just the generic grid of circles...
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
How do you get it to work with artwork? I have the latest dev compiled, but the driver looks like it's still just using the test layout (hh_hmcs40_test.lay), nothing specific to the individual games yet... Unless I'm overlooking something...

It works, I can hear it! Cool But it's just the generic grid of circles...

Yeah I honestly am not sure. I will ask around on IRC when I see hap on. I believe you need some kind of artwork file for it. It's a processed version of my SVG. I don't have a copy of it yet.

I haven't actually gotten it to run myself. Embarassed
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I forgot about the SVG files, he made a comment about svg2lay or something, and I couldn't think of what 'svg' meant. Smile

I kept thinking it would be hard to draw a square around a sprite in the PNG and have that work since the square could wrap around multiple elements that shouldn't always be lit (like the Pa-Man and the red dot in his mouth). The tool must separate the graphics out into true individual sprites? It seemed more complicated than I thought it would be, and without a working example I couldn't figure it out...

But he has Pac-Man 2 working! Make him share it! Smile

I tried to sign up on Bannister's forum, but my account hasn't been approved yet.
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Ah, I forgot about the SVG files, he made a comment about svg2lay or something, and I couldn't think of what 'svg' meant. Smile

I kept thinking it would be hard to draw a square around a sprite in the PNG and have that work since the square could wrap around multiple elements that shouldn't always be lit (like the Pa-Man and the red dot in his mouth). The tool must separate the graphics out into true individual sprites? It seemed more complicated than I thought it would be, and without a working example I couldn't figure it out...

But he has Pac-Man 2 working! Make him share it! Smile

I tried to sign up on Bannister's forum, but my account hasn't been approved yet.

Yeah it takes a bit to get approved, I had to go through that too. The SVG is vector artwork, and right now work is being done to tag each sprite for the emulator. So far, about a dozen have been converted.

Work seems to be progressing at a rapid clip so it shouldn't be long now until it's fully usable. I can't wait to play these either.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a couple of chips I wasn't sure if I recognized...
HD38750 A45 (Vtech Invaders)
D8048C 068 (Mego Mini-Vid Sea Battle)
Sea Battle is an LCD game with another chip in it (SCUS0506), is that the same (or similar) LCD driver that's in Microvision? Same basic square-grid LCD...

These are in my pile to send you, so you can have at them... Smile

I also noticed on the dev forum that someone mentioned Entex Hip-Pocket Baseball:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Entex/HPB.htm
That one is purely mechanical... Nothing to emulate on there...

What about the old Mattel games (the originals- Football, Auto Race, etc...) My understanding is at least the early ones were basically modified calculator chips... I suppose they may have to be decapped, but it would be cool to have true emulation of those as well.

Rik
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, hap was asking about the back of the Tsukuda Pachinko game back on page two, here's the other side of that circuit board... Send them a link to it! (I still can't get one the forum... Not sure what the point of having a person verify your identity if they never check their Emails...)

kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Found a couple of chips I wasn't sure if I recognized...
HD38750 A45 (Vtech Invaders)
D8048C 068 (Mego Mini-Vid Sea Battle)
Sea Battle is an LCD game with another chip in it (SCUS0506), is that the same (or similar) LCD driver that's in Microvision? Same basic square-grid LCD...

I can dump 8048 no problem so long as it's not an 8048AP or has P anywhere in the suffix. (P = "protected") 38750 is dumpable just fine, I had one of those in a bambino game and figured out how to dump them.

sea battle sounds indeed like it has the same or similar LCD driver to the microvision. If so, that'll be easy to emulate.
seanriddle
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:

about the old Mattel games (the originals- Football, Auto Race, etc...) My understanding is at least the early ones were basically modified calculator chips... I suppose they may have to be decapped, but it would be cool to have true emulation of those as well.

Rik

That's interesting- the ASIC version of Simon is labeled SCUS0640. The Microvision LCD driver was from Hughes. Maybe someone designed a cheaper/better version for Sea Battle?

Edit: my Microvision LCD driver is labeled SCUS0488, which seems to indicate that Hughes used the SCUS prefix, and the 0506 is a later version.

I've decapped Football and Battle Star Galactica, which have Rockwell chips. Paul Robson was looking at them, but we were unable to find any documentation on the chips. Paul contacted Mark Lesser, but didn't get any info. Basketball has a Natl Semi chip, not sure if it's a total custom or one of their calculator chips, but it's not a COP.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found at least one difference with the Coleco Pac-Man ROMs, now that I can switch between them so easily...

When you first turn it on, the A28 ROM just shows one tiny section of the Pac-Man maze. It all lights up when you start a game, but it looks weird at first (almost looks like the game isn't working right, and I know I've seen real ones do this).

The A29 ROM displays the entire maze (walls only) when you turn it on... I'll confirm with real units tonight, but that might be all that was changed... Just making it look right when you turn it on. I think my 'play-with' machine must be an A28 because I don't remember seeing the entire screen when it's turned on...
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new one (maybe) for you:
NEC D1080G 002

From a Tomy Monster Burger:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/MonsterBurg.htm
There's 4 games in this series (LCD based), so I'm guessing the others run on the same chip, but haven't confirmed...

Here's a MB pic:

Is that one you've tried before?
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Here's a new one (maybe) for you:
NEC D1080G 002

Is that one you've tried before?

nope. I looked around and there's absolutely no information at all about this chip anywhere. just 1 or 2 google hits from part scalpers maybe selling selling them. (the -022 version). I have no clue what's in there except most likely some kind of CMOS 4 bit micro with LCD drivers.

The NEC databooks I have don't even mention a 108x series or anything close unfortunately. It's probably a japan-only part or something. Dumpability is a big question mark.

Re: pac-man. that's weird. The maze is always on, so apparently they don't scan the VFD grids at start up on the A28 revision of the game and maybe people complained that they thought it was broke or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: