The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Coleco Frogger Variations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Coleco Frogger Variations Reply with quote

I was looking at the High Scores thread for Coleco Frogger http://www.handheldmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299 and noticed that some were trying to figure out the different variations of Frogger Tabletops out there. It is my understanding that there are two Coleco versions of Frogger. For the purposes of this thread I'll refer to them as *Model 1* and *Model 2* -

Model 1-

*Cars have detailed graphics (defined shape and distinctive wheels). Cars colors are blue and red.

*Turtles are blue

Model 2-

*Car graphics less defined- more rectangular than Cars in Model 1, with noticeably smaller wheels. Cars colors are red and orange.

*Turtles are red- same color as the logs

*If Frogger is in the Turtles/Logs area, he has a death/squish graphic animation when he hits the edge of the screen. This graphic is NOT found in Model 1.

I prefer the overall graphical style and colors of Model 1- the cars do look better and I don't like the turtles being the same colors as the logs, but I do wish Model 1 had Frogger's death graphic.

So when buying Coleco Frogger, how do you know which one is Model 1 or Model 2 before turning it on? At first I thought the top stickers were the dead giveaway. I own Model 1, and that has the top sticker with Frogger against full black background-

So then I thought all Model 2 variations MUST have the top sticker with Frogger against a green background! I had seen Model 2's graphics on Frogger tabletops with the green sticker before, so problem solved right?

But then I recently found out that Model 1 graphics have ALSO appeared on tabletops with the green background top sticker Confused

So the question still remains, how does one identify these variations before making a purchase? Suppose one buyer wants the machine with the Frogger death animation, or prefers the one with the blue turtles and more detailed cars? Is there anyway to truly tell them apart?

Last edited by Tartfox on Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jethro
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Model 2 graphics seems like Gakken Frogger:

Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the Gakken/CGL devices have the Model 2 graphics. I didn't mention that because if in the event someone finds Model 1 graphics on a Gakken/CGL device as well, then it would be even more puzzling than ever.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also be curious to know the numbers on the CPU chip of a Coleco Model 2. The game play is slightly different between the two (at least, it's different between a Coleco Model 1 and the CGL Frogger). IIRC, it has to due (at least) with that death graphic. On the Model 1, you can still jump away from that last sprite, on Model 2 it's too late... Not much of a change (and there might be a few others), but I remember something like that. Smile And the CPU codes are different by one between the Coleco Model 1 and CGL.

It'd be interesting to see if the same CPU and the CGL game is in the Coleco Model 2... (I don't have a Coleco version of that yet...)

Thanks for the info though.
MAME/MESS now emulates Coleco Frogger (the Model 1 style currently). I'll be sending a CGL Frogger to the guys doing the ROM dumping soon, so we'll have both versions in MESS eventually...
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rik,

Can you think of any other differences between Model 1 and Model 2? I'm trying to create a definitive list of differences so if you can recall anything else, please let me know. Smile
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to play them side-by-side to compare for sure... I only have the CGL Frogger (and Coleco Model 1) which I'm assuming is the same as a Coleco Model 2, but haven't confirmed that yet...

Also, once we get the ROM dumped for both versions (or all 3 if the Coleco is different than the CGL), we can compare the source code to see how different it is (although reading machine language for these things is kind of tedious, so that might be more of a curiosity than anything, unless code is your 'thing'... Cool )
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, coding's not exactly my thing, just looking for graphical and gameplay differences to document between the two. Now that you mention it though is it possible to mod the code for a tabletop to allow for higher point scoring (say for example Gakken's Puck Monster so it goes beyond 9,999)?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it would be possible. At the very least make it start over at 0000 and you just have to remember what 10,000 you are on. But using MESS we could probably add an extra digit to the VFD graphics and make it keep counting. May not be simple, but should be possible... Smile
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Cool
markesito
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: turtles behaving differently Reply with quote

It looks like some pictures of this thread are missing, so I can not really tell appart model 1 and model 2.

I have a Coleco and a Gakken/CGL version

On the Coleco, if I recall correctly, the upper line of turtles, sometimes dive in the water and if frogger is on the turtles it will sink and die.

On the Gakken/CGL the turtles are not diving in AFAIK...

I'm not sure which Coleco I have (model 1 or 2) but I think the graphics were slightly different to the Gakken/CGL...

I'll check them when I have time, side by side to compare more differences...
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: turtles behaving differently Reply with quote

markesito wrote:
It looks like some pictures of this thread are missing, so I can not really tell appart model 1 and model 2.

I have a Coleco and a Gakken/CGL version

On the Coleco, if I recall correctly, the upper line of turtles, sometimes dive in the water and if frogger is on the turtles it will sink and die.

On the Gakken/CGL the turtles are not diving in AFAIK...

I'm not sure which Coleco I have (model 1 or 2) but I think the graphics were slightly different to the Gakken/CGL...

I'll check them when I have time, side by side to compare more differences...

I managed to restore one of the images in my original post, that should help. On the Model 1 Coleco the upper turtles do in fact dive, can you verify that the turtles in the Gakken/CGL/Model 2 version don't dive at all? I simply assumed that game mechanic was in both versions.

I look forward to reading your input on this little Frogger mystery and seeing if you note anymore differences. Smile
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have a model one opened up?
RoswellWitness
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like variants of all kinds, but the Frogger one has way too much info on the screen. If you don't know what you're looking at.....you shouldn't be playing Frogger.

Jethro wrote:
The Model 2 graphics seems like Gakken Frogger:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: