The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Le Bomb Tabletop Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Missing games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Le Bomb Tabletop Game Reply with quote

First off, there IS a patent with a picture of the game in it:

http://www.google.com/patents/US4320901

As a kid I had this game called "Le Bomb". It was a large black bomb-shaped game with a red LED blinking nose cone. There was a clear red cover on the side of the bomb that slid open revealing a keypad. There's no displays of any kind except the single LED and a speaker. Sliding the cover open turned it on.

You had to guess the correct code to defuse the bomb without it "exploding". If you made a wrong guess I think the ticking sound and LED got faster and faster. Take too long (or make too many errors) and it made an explosion noise.

Anyways, I cannot find a single shred of information about it on Google or even ebay, let alone who sold it.

It was designed by Marvin Glass & Associates, which also designed Simon, making it all the more mysterious. This seems to imply it was sold by an American company, but I turned up nothing in my search.

I received it as an xmas gift some time in 1980-82 timeframe or thereabouts, and obviously no longer have it.

edit: sorry, looks like this should've went in the "Memories" forum. Please move if possible.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was a game that was only made in limited numbers as a advertising campaign give away?

I saw a Green Giant handheld game on eBay years ago that I bid on but wished I had bid more as it is the only one I have ever seen anywhere.
It was given away by the Green Giant canned vegetables company it seems.

I have learned that there have been so many "consumer goods" made with no real records that it is impossible to try and track down many known items.

Maybe it was only released in France or?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made (well, sold) by Lakeside, it's called 'Le Boom'

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Misc/LakesideLeBoom.htm

U.S. company, it was released here (and overseas as well, probably by different distributors). I've seen it in Sears Catalogs and other magazines from the day...
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Made (well, sold) by Lakeside, it's called 'Le Boom'

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Misc/LakesideLeBoom.htm

U.S. company, it was released here (and overseas as well, probably by different distributors). I've seen it in Sears Catalogs and other magazines from the day...

Yesss, that's exactly it. thanks a bunch everyone for the help! I will try to find one now. I remember it wasn't sold very long and they were blowing them out for $10 back in the early 80's which is why I got one for my birthday or christmas probably. hehe. The good news is it has a PIC1655 in there so when I get my hands on one I will be able to dump the micro.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they come in different colors? I notice a yellow one and a black one in the pictures.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know if that was different territories, or just the whim of the manufacturer, but I've seen it in Black, white and yellow...
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:
Did they come in different colors? I notice a yellow one and a black one in the pictures.

The one I had was black all the way around. In the pictures I found, the base it sits on was red, but mine the base and the bomb casing itself were all black.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Missing games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: