The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Excalibur Electronics Space Invaders Tabletop Arcade Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lukasz604
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Excalibur Electronics Space Invaders Tabletop Arcade Game Reply with quote

I just pick this game up working. Great condition and a steal at $25 Canadian. Took it home cleaned it up and placed it on the shelf. A few hours later I take it out to play it. Unscrew the battery cover and install 4 nearly new C batteries and nothing.

Took the batteries out and put them into another game and they work.

Any ideas what I could try to get this going again? What could have happened within a few hours from when it was working? Any help would be great.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the game is turned on, spin the batteries in the battery compartment... Make sure they are making really good contact. Even clean, shiny contacts can have a little oxidation or something that prevents a perfect battery connection.

That's kind of the only thing I can think of, or maybe a wire that was just about to come loose and finally chose today to do it... Cool
Lukasz604
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so odd that it just stopped working. I'll try to clean the terminals to see if that helps. If not I'll carefully open the unit and inspect it. Thanks.
Lukasz604
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/12592224_10156437643770471_5246941620102248901_n.jpg?oh=ac94229af669f39174f5d574d4bcbb15&oe=573E58B2

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12552967_10156437643765471_5377877387382984337_n.jpg?oh=e854631c0dd7069a9aca77a7bddd7aeb&oe=573082B6

Ive taken the game apart but I have no idea what im doing. I cant see any lose wires. 3 of the 4 battery terminals are wired but one is not. 1 of the terminals has a double connection. Is this normal?
lordsardonyx
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that is annoying. Many of the games I've bought were/are temperamental in the battery compartment. Sometimes, I have to put a small piece of cardboard on top of the batteries before shutting the door so the batteries can be held in very tightly. Otherwise, if you move the game too much it will shut off.
Have you used an AC adapter with the game since you bought it? The last one I fixed was a Entex Stargate that had a tab in the AC plug outlet that was bent JUST ENOUGH to not make contact with the battery circuit when the AC adapter was not plugged in, so the game was never getting power when using batteries. I just had to bend that little tab to make contact and the game worked!
OR, the on/off switch might need to be cleaned with some contact cleaner. I'd love to fix your game, but I can't do anything with the photos, sorry!
Lukasz604
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the 2005 Excalibur version. It does not come with an AC adapter. I've tried all those other suggestions and nothing works. It's literally like a complete mystery as to why the game stop working. I found a local guy that works on these types of things and I'm going to get them to look at it. The game is in a really excellent condition otherwise.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing looks wrong in the photos... There's usually spare tabs on the battery compartments. The 3 red wires is kind of weird, but I assume there's a reason for it.

Do you have a volt-meter? If you can test voltage, check between each of the 3 red wires and the black one, see what you get. Then on the other side of the power switch with the game on...

(Also, not to overlook the obvious, but you tried all new batteries, right? Even if they work in another game, still might be a good thing to try, just in case.)

Just a weird situation, I can't help but to think it has to be something simple and obvious... Mine is boxed up, but if there's a physical on/off switch on the game, it's possible that has broken internally... But that's what a volt-meter could check for. You can get a really cheap one just for testing voltages, might be worth having if you are going to start collecting games.
Lukasz604
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely go buy a voltmeter because it sounds like a good idea to have. I have not checked the game with brand-new batteries and if that is the problem it's going to be really funny. There is no on off switch, there is an on off button on the top next to all the other buttons. When I took the game apart I could see that the button is making contact when pressed down. This is definitely frustrating but it's probably a very easy solution that I just can't see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: