The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Best gameplay?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Best gameplay? Reply with quote

Which games would you say are the most fun to play?

Astro Wars is great, with its multiple stages. Tomy Scramble is surprisingly engaging. Tron, of course. Coleco Galaxian is great but the loud sounds become annoying pretty quickly.

The biggest surprise has been Prinztronic Invaders - this game is INSANE! Fast, bright and loud, the way a vintage game should be.

You DO play with your games and not just put them on display, right? Laughing
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandstand Star Force has got to be one of the best shoot-em-ups to play. I love driving games (I still have the Bandai Champion Racer I had as a kid) and I now find Kenner Long Beach Grand Prix hard to put down. The Prinztronic Invaders is a version of my ALL TIME favourite game, CGL Galaxy Invader (which I used to be able to beat on level 3 with my eyes closed on my first life as a kid!). I have a book of my best scores from many games if you want a challenge Wink

Neil
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play some, and just display some... I always feel kinda wierd when someone asks 'How is so-and-so game?' and I have to respond with 'Um, I've never actually played it... Smile '. I have 2 of a bunch of games so I can keep a nice one and play with the other one.

I have to admit, I recently sold a Bandai Hyper-Olympic Challenge 5, and played it for the first time to see if it actually worked, and I felt like I was playing the arcade game... I remember smacking the two 'run' buttons until my fingers hurt back in the day, and this game is a perfect handheld version of that experience... I didn't want to ship it out to the guy that won it. (The only one I have now is sealed, so I have to get another loose one to play with... Mr. Green )

I love the Fire Away/Galactic Invaders games, and I'm personally very attached to Microvision, especially Block Buster. That's the best handheld break-out type game I've ever found (key playability point is that you control the SPEED of the paddle, not just the direction like most of the other handheld versions of this game).

Coleco Donkey Kong and Entex Pac Man 2... Can't forget those (Entex has the best Pac Man handheld made, IMO. Closest thing to the arcade game, and it gets DAMN fast as you get into the higher levels of the game.)

I could probably go on and on... Laughing

Rik
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with rik with Entex pac man 2. As a kid all of my friends got astro wars for christmas and got fed up with it after two months. I got pac man 2 and they were still coming round to my house in the summer months just to try and beat their pac man high scores. In fact i still enjoy a bash now Yessss! .

Regards
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid to say I'm distinctly underwhelmed by PM2. Perhaps I didn't give it time to grow on me. It might also have something to do with the fact that my brother and I had an actual cocktail Pacman machine for a year when we were kids - daddy did some work for the distributor, so one day a truck turned up out of the blue and delivered two machines (the other was a Galaxian clone of some sort). After playing Pacman nearly every day for a year I'm just a tad over it, though it hasn't stopped me from accumulating 5 Colecos, 4 Tomys and 2 Gakkens. Laughing

But I'm just bragging now. Cool As far as Entex is concerned I absolutely love Galaxian 2. I was fortunate enough to pick up a mint, boxed one a few months ago, and I mean mint, it looks factory-fresh. It's a thing of beauty, I could easily hang it on the wall and just stare at it all day. Shame their other games weren't as good - Defender and Stargate are almost unplayable, IMO. Especially if your Stargate has a screw where the joystick should be...
number6
Microvision

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? Defender is one of the most playable Entex games out there in my opinion. Pacman2 is a really good pacman handheld and I would have to say it is the best that I have played. My only problem with Pacman2 is that it is too damn hard. I have never been able to clear more than 50 screens and the game has over 200 stages!
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it frustrating controlling the ship with buttons. Now the Gakken version is exactly the same game, but the joystick makes a huge difference. Probably the same reason I didn't take to Pacman 2. I actually prefer to use the keyboard when playing 1st person shooters on a PC, but on a handheld it never feels quite right.
number6
Microvision

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Defender Arcade game may have had a joystick it was only ever used for up/down control so I don't see where a joystick would make a huge difference for this game, but to each his own. I find that the Defender handheld is probably one of the most ergonomically designed handhelds ever made. The game also has all of the features of the arcade game and even has difficulty settings and clock speed adjustments. I will admit that Pacman2 takes a little getting used to, but the gameplay is awesome once you get used to the controls.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6 wrote:
Well the Defender Arcade game may have had a joystick it was only ever used for up/down control so I don't see where a joystick would make a huge difference for this game

I never liked the arcade machine, probably because I didn't have an enough coins to enable me to come to grips with the control system. Some of those kids seemed to have an unlimited supply. I preferred games like Phoenix - left, right and fire, instant gratification. As to the handhelds the joystick on the Gakken replaces 4 buttons - up, down, reverse and thrust, leaving your right hand free to fire the laser and bombs. So much easier for somebody with LADD (Lazy And Disaffected Disorder). Wink
NE146
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always nominate Entex Space Invader as probably being the closest to arcade Space Invaders even though the gameplay is a little choppy. Why? Because just like the arcade, you can COUNT shots!! I forget the actual strategy but depending on the amt of shots you let out you can guarantee you'll always get the 30 pt UFO. Back then that was the epitome of arcade-home port coolness Smile. Also you can sort of do a variation on the "Wall of death" arcade trick by shooting the top invaders first. You have to time your shot so when the invaders go down a level, you shoot them just then.. That way your shot will pass through the bottom invader and kill the top one. Once you do that, The bottom invader can no longer shoot! Mr. Green So it's almost like in the arcade where if the invaders get to the lowest level, they can't shoot.

Yeah.. I played that game a lot. Wink

Anyway my actual pick for 'best gameplay' is probably Donkey Kong Jr. Game and Watch. It still holds up to this day. Also I really like the competitive action in Hyper Olympic Challenge 5. It really did a great job of translating the arcade game to miniature form.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 games i loved a lot for the gameplay, first was Entex Hockey, of course i'm a huge hockey fan but what i liked the most was instant competition with someone else instead of a computer. Second is Tandy Fire Away 1000. I used to play that one in high school in the small chambers in our music course instead of playing the flute Twisted Evil , nice memories. And the third one has to be Alien Attack, i've spent alot of time on that one too.
number6
Microvision

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a game called Electron Blaster which is very similar I think to Fire Away. That is a great game. The only thing I don't like about that game is that it is over way too soon because you can only score 199 points maximum.
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NE146 wrote:
Because just like the arcade, you can COUNT shots!! I forget the actual strategy but depending on the amt of shots you let out you can guarantee you'll always get the 30 pt UFO.

The strategy for the arcade game is to fire 22 missiles from the start of the game and make sure you hit the space ship on your 23rd shot. Fire 14 missiles then hit the space ship with your 15th shot. Carry on with 14 missile strategy then start with 22 again on next sheet. You get 300 points every time you hit the space ship. ( Original Arcade Space Invaders).

Peter Pie
NE146
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Pie wrote:
NE146 wrote:
Because just like the arcade, you can COUNT shots!! I forget the actual strategy but depending on the amt of shots you let out you can guarantee you'll always get the 30 pt UFO.

The strategy for the arcade game is to fire 22 missiles from the start of the game and make sure you hit the space ship on your 23rd shot. Fire 14 missiles then hit the space ship with your 15th shot. Carry on with 14 missile strategy then start with 22 again on next sheet. You get 300 points every time you hit the space ship. ( Original Arcade Space Invaders).

Peter Pie

Yes.. that is for the original arcade game and I DO remember that one fine Smile

However, the Entex version also has counting (which made it AWESOME for an 80's kid obsessed with Space Invaders).. THAT'S the one I forgot Mr. Green Someday I'll break it out and figure it out again.
EmeraldR
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Game Play Reply with quote

My top 10 games for graphics AND game play.
#10 BMX Flyer- Catchy tunes,bright graphics enhance the game play.Great game.
#9 Defender- I hated the arcade game.Thought it had too many controls!
But I played the hell out of this game when it came out! The speed control helped the fun factor.
#8 Galaxian- This was like two games in one. as it also had a spaceinvaders mode. The two player mode was great also.
#7 Q-bert- Damn near arcade perfect! I spent hours upon hours on this game.
#6 Paint roller- Funny graphics but captures alot of the arcade game play.
#5 Mrs Pacman- just the fact that the maze actualy changed,did it for me! Even the way they added the different fruits was cool.
#4 Tron- Fan of the movie and both arcade games.This tabletop does all of them justice. From being able to see the circuitry thru the case to capturing 3 of the main elements of game play. Fun game.
#3 Hyper Olympic Challange 5- Once again, I wasnt a fan of the early button masher games. I remember people using pens,pencils and all kinds of stuff between their fingers to play this game! This table top is soooooo much fun its a shame! This is the only game I know that will make u want to get a second one just because of the button mashing factor.
#2 DigDug-I spent a lot of time at the arcade on this game.I didn't even know there was a tabe top at one point.Dispite the fact the pump was changed to a flame thrower, it's still a fun game!
#1 Mr Do!- There are many games that I spent hours on in arcades, I have played the entire MrDo! series in the arcades. It took me years to find any one who even knew of this Handheld and a few more to get one.
If your're a fan of this game and have the manual, This game rocks! When I first got one. I didn't know what to think. After reading the manual and understanding the lay-out, I couldn't put it down!
I have played this game the most out of any handheld/tabletop game i own.
I'm sure I left a few games out. But thats my list for now.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: