The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bandai FL Mobile Suit Gundam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> High Scores
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Bandai FL Mobile Suit Gundam Reply with quote

This is a very cool horizontal shooter. What I like about it is the levels and boss fights. It goes like this, 1 level then a mini boss, 2 levels and then the final boss (repeat).

The graphics and sounds are neat. The gameplay is easy and enjoyable. Not a difficult, pull your hair out game. It has two game modes. Use the select button. You will know if you're in the hardest mode when the start and end screen have 3 bars (lives) at the bottom. 4 is the easier mode.

The trophy is worth 2000 points.

My high score right now on game 2 (harder) is: 2200

billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Shootin it up! Reply with quote

Fun Game!
Once you learn a few tricks on each level...it certainly helps.

and that is correct...the 3 blue bars in photo show that this is on hardest skill level.
trophy = 2,000 points
2,000 + 820 = 2,820

TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a few hours into this one tonight. It's definitely less frustrating than Crazy Climber. Neat and more relaxing.

The rock maze coming at you seems pretty simple, but it got me twice in my high score run.

My high score right now is: 3,100

billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of all of the games, this is the easiest for me. i found out that the difficulty does not change and just about every single board is pattern based, so once you learn where to shoot and move, you can just keep repeating it from memory. i had a long run and something interesting happened.
at 2,000 points you get a trophy
at 4,000 points the trophy disappears from the screen
at 6,000 points the trophy comes back again...
my final score = 6,490
i know we aren't doing videos yet, but i can record and post one if you need to see it.
oh yeah, for other people viewing, the 3 blue bars shows it is on the most difficult setting.

TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so when you said that everything has a pattern... I wanted to find it for each level. I found the first level pattern pretty easily. On level 2, I kind of found something that I didn't want to. I actually hate finding these types of things because it can take the fun out of things.

It's a super cheese strat that got me a crazy high score. Honestly, I don't know why I kept going.

At any rate, on the second level with the flying fish (I believe that's what those are)... You don't need to kill the boss. You can simply go after the pattern of the fish to rack up the points. You just find the groove... Once you have it (which does take time to figure out), you can take down fish forever if you wanted or until your batteries run out. hehe Smile

I want you to have this high score, it's legitimate as you played through the 4 levels and repeated them to get it. Very nice!
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm,
well that is nice of you.
i suppose we could both use your technique and just see who lasts longer but i agree that wouldn't be much fun. you are a worthy opponent and i can already see that there are scores of yours that i may never beat on some of the other games!...
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

It's definitely not a lot of fun at all. I actually think I found a strat on Tomy Tron where you can get infinite points. I had to stop that strat quick though, because it's one of my favorite games.

I don't want it to be true, but think it's very possible. I refuse to find out completely though, because it will ruin the game for me. Stinky cheese.

My top score on that one is legitimate, playing through all the levels and repeating to get the high score.
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.
you know it's funny. some of these games do have a cheat spot where you can gain lots of points. bambino safari is the worst of them all. i own it so maybe i'll try and do a video of that one too to show you where it is.
i actually don't consider it cheating if you find an error in the programming and decide to use it. i think it is ok to just use it and go for longevity at that point. it seems like when an error appears that it is consistent on all of these VFD games. but sure, me and you can just decide between us how to compete. i'm totally cool with that.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the Galaga arcade game with the enemy shots 'cheat'. It's a bug in the program where if you wait a certain amount of time on the second level you basically disable the enemies ability to shoot at you. They can still fly at you, but that's pretty easy to avoid. Once I did this, I played the game literally until the arcade closed (several hours)...

But, in the end, it isn't fun to do more than once or twice to prove you can do it or if you just want to see higher levels...

There's other arcade games like this- Zoo Keeper comes to mind. The people that have world-record scores on that game aren't 'playing' the game... They actually let all the animals out and then jump over them repeatedly since you get 100,000s+ points every time you jump than many animals... Not the intended game play though.

Also the Coleco Pac-Man and Ms Pac Man patterns Billy found... Once you can finish every level with a pattern, it's just a matter of stamina... Cool

If you can make yourself not do it, even for a short period to pad your score, we could just have an un-written rule to avoid using patterns and score hoarding techniques... Make the high scores based on 'intended play skill' only... Just have to resist the urge to do it if you are close to beating a score... Mr. Green
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rik!
that's interesting about the galaga cheat. i remember hearing about it as a kid, but i never tried it like you did.
and the zoo keeper is an interesting one. i never saw the game as a kid, but i have watched people do the "jump for points" deal online. it seems like a super fun game. i love the sounds on it.
i am hoping to actually record some game play soon and leave links on your site here if anyone wants to view game play on youtube. tokyo batman has shown a bit of interest so it may be fun for me.
hey rik,...i was curious. i know you sold your game collection. how many old school games did you keep? i believe you said you may still have some? i'm super curious.
-billy
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billytherobot wrote:
rik!
that's interesting about the galaga cheat. i remember hearing about it as a kid, but i never tried it like you did.

There's actually a ROM update that fixes this, which makes it even harder to do now... You have to just sit and stare at the screen for about 15 minutes to make it work, and if you don't know what ROMs are in the game, you may just be wasting your time... Smile

I loved when I was able to do this cheat on the Jakks plug-and-play Joystick version of Galaga... To me, that proves they are emulating the actual arcade ROMs since I doubt anyone would take the time to program that bug into something like that...

billytherobot wrote:
hey rik,...i was curious. i know you sold your game collection. how many old school games did you keep? i believe you said you may still have some? i'm super curious.
-billy

I kept a decent collection of lose VFD games to play with and take to shows. All the Coleco's, several of the Entex VFDs, Burgertime, Pengo, Bandai Zaxxon, and a few others. I can set up a great 'show off' table of games for people to play. I also had a boxed copy of each of these, so it wasn't really something I kept out of the collection, but a set
Still have the Adventure Visions, my complete Microvision set that I had as a kid, some games I had duplicates of to sell off at some point.
But for the most part, my 'collection' is the pile of lose games and Microvision.
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply rik.
super interesting that the galaga cheat worked on the "plug & play" version. i never thought it would have! that's neat.
and it sounds like you still have a saucy collection of games. that's great. i seemed to remember you mentioning that you still had some a while back.
hope you aren't getting tired of seeing me and tokyo batman. we're just getting warmed up!! (actually, i'm slowing down a little but going to get back to it when time allows!!)
thanks again for your site. it's still my favorite site ever!
-billy
Yessss!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> High Scores All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: