The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bandai FL Crazy Climbing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> High Scores
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Bandai FL Crazy Climbing Reply with quote

If any of you grew up playing Crazy Climber in the arcade, this is a nice compliment to that experience.

It keeps a lot of the same elements. The two joysticks and movement. The screen will scroll left and right for more width of the building. You have to dodge flower pots. Birds come through at the top of the screen and drop rocks that need to be avoided.

Unfortunately when you get to the top of the building on the 49th floor, a chopper doesn't take you away like the arcade game. But you get an animation dance and nice jingle.

I got a good run in where I reached the top twice. You get bonus points for reaching the top.

My high score is: 15,000

billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the games begin!
16,500 score
I have decided to attempt to reach high scores on all of my VFD games.
Rik is keeping the website going, so 2019 will be a busy year for me.

billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: NEW SCORE!!! Reply with quote

OK,
This game only has memory to hold a score of 19,900
I flipped the game and got another 11,500 points.
This 11,500 score only showed during the final song and then the score went back to a frozen screen of 19,900.
11,500 + 19,900 = 31,400
i have a go pro camera and would be willing to upload full game play vids if anyone needs to see proof.....for now I will just post photos though.
This is going to be a very busy year!

TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome score! And congrats! I'm gonna give this another go soon.

I don't think it's necessary to show video. So this game flips to zero at 19900 and you keep adding points and it flips back to the 19900 when you finish?

Interesting. I wonder how I will do.

Last edited by TokyoBatman on Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:07 pm; edited 4 times in total
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: 31,400 Game... Reply with quote

Correct....and Thank you!
The instruction manual mentioned the max 19900 score so I was curious how it would play out. When I got to the score, it flipped to "0" and ket going. I memorized the 11,500 while the tune for the last "dead guy" played...After that, it went back to 19900 on the screen. I really hate when you are surrounded by closed windows and you can't move for minutes on end. And when the window you are holding closes on you....I can't see any way to avoid dying at that point. Fun but frustrating!
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it. Yeah that is one RNG factor that can end your run no matter how well you are playing. I also was wondering if there was a way to avoid that.

Playing slow to see your options for not getting stuck by windows usually doesn't work, because then a bunch of windows start closing around you. Going up fast through an opening, you might get unlucky, and get a closed window all of a sudden, preventing you from going up, which eventually results in a death.

I actually didn't put much time into this to get a good strategy going.

Can you go down more than one window? Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Not sure if there is a way to avoid unluckily getting killed by the inability to move and the window closing on you to your death.
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not figure out how to go down more than 1 window either. I also couldn't find a way to avoid a closing window. I just used the "move fast" method as well. Moving slowly did more harm than good. I would also restart my game if I lost my first guy too soon. I wonder if we are the only 2 people in the world playing this? (and some of the other VFD games??) I have tried to go on the popular twin galaxies high score website to see about these VFD games, but they don't seem to have a listing for any of them. I don't even see the popular coleco mini arcade games there. Not only that, but the website is very confusing and hard to read. It takes forever to find where you need to go. rik's site has always been the only place I can find, that has such love for these old games.
OTTOgd
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billytherobot wrote:
rik's site has always been the only place I can find, that has such love for these old games.

Yeah, Rik's www.handheldmuseum.com is THE place to be for handheld appreciation. I dream of opening a barcade with a dedicated section for public play-ability of my handheld collection. Public appreciation and tournaments!
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this is the best out there, especially with the forum.

I love the high score section as I play a lot. We can only hope that Rik will keep it going.

One thing that I would like to add is a review section. Unless there is one and I'm missing it. I always try to add a few details and my thoughts about the game in the high score section.
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review section sounds great! I would be interested to see what you have to say. I would also be super excited to see your collection one day. Maybe you can do a youtube video some time to show it off?
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! I'd like to do that at some point. Everything I have is boxed and complete. If we had a review section, I could take a few pics of each individual game, box, instructions... And then write up a review.

Last edited by TokyoBatman on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
OTTOgd
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoBatman wrote:
Oh yeah! I'd like to do that at some point. Everything I have is boxed and complete. If we had a review section, I could take a few pics of each individual game, box, instructions... And then write up a review.

... and gameplay videos!

A forum section organized like the High Scores but for reviews would be great.

Blanka's 'Best VFD table tops' video (http://www.handheldmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2311) was awesome.

MOAR!
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billytherobot, wow! You really got a good score. I put some hours in... And this is a tough one.

Btw, does the difficulty level keep going up. Or does it cycle back down after you reach the top 4 times?

I'm happy to say that I at least beat the game with the 19,900. After that I only got an additional 200 before dying.

So I noticed that it will flash the 2nd round score for a few seconds. So if you're quick, which I wasn't prepared, you can snap a shot of that before it defaults back to the top score of 19,900.

Well, my total and high score has moved up to 20,100

A lot to go, but I'm happy with that.

I also figured out that the only way to go down is to keep taking shots from flower pots and rocks. And inching your way down. You lose points, but can save a life, especially when every window around you is closed. If you go down 5 to 7, it seems like you can reset the area around you and make openings to go up. It's a strategy I played around with, but will need to investigate more.

It seems that speed is key though, got to crazy climb fast. I noticed that you can cancel out flower pots at times too, by going really fast and hitting both joysticks down. I will need to investigate that more as well.

billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: GREAT SCORE! Reply with quote

TokyoBatman,
Great Score!
You are really close to my score actually. I believe the difficulty may have gotten a bit easier after the first 4 levels. I think this is the only reason I got lucky and got a higher score. And you are correct...playing fast is key. Thanks for your tips on the other methods of playing. I will have to give those a shot. I don't have many of my VFD games "in box", but I have a decent collection of 40 or so. I plan to give them all a lot of playing this year if time allows. We'll see how it goes!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoBatman wrote:
One thing that I would like to add is a review section. Unless there is one and I'm missing it. I always try to add a few details and my thoughts about the game in the high score section.

Easy enough! There is now a Review section. Smile

I can't remember how I made the High Score forum sort alphabetically, I think it was a mod to the forum software (I haven't updated it in a long time...) So they may not sort at first, until I figure that out. Rolling Eyes

But the forum is there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> High Scores All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: