The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tiger Space Invader tabletop exists!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NE146
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
you'd have to make sure your computer was running and the software was running and your system clock was accurate when the auction end time rolls around.

I think most of them (like auction sentry) automatically check and adjust your pc clock to ebay's times. I know Auction Sentry does it regularly, and then again 5 minutes before a scheduled snipe.

Last edited by NE146 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NE146, that makes sense, I was going from memory, being a diehard eSnipe customer.

Besides leaving your computer on with the program running, do you also have to leave yourself logged into eBay? If you have to still tell the program your password, nothing's stopping it from transmitting it somewhere besides eBay... Twisted Evil So that reason to not use a server-based service wouldn't stack up... Although the risk of someone hacking the server and acquiring the password might enter into it...

Still, playing devil's advocate, so what if someone gets it? People give theirs away all the time to phishing scammers, and all that happens is the scammers start Western Union too-good-to-be-true psuedo-BIN auctions that then need cancelling, a hassle to be sure but hardly worth biting one's nails over the possibility of!

(But it is another good reason to have separate buying and selling id's...)
NE146
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Besides leaving your computer on with the program running, do you also have to leave yourself logged into eBay?

No. The password is saved within the program. You enter in your identification and then you can test it with ebay and it logs in whenever it needs it. That's about it.. no browser required.

Yeah I guess an unscrupulous programmer could make it so it sends out elsewhere, but come on. How long would that program last. Especially one people BUY Razz

p.s. I meant Auction SENTRY above. That's the program I've been using for years (http://www.auctionsentry.com) I went ahead and corrected the post. Smile

Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? You mean I don't have to stay up for auctions anymore? Why didn't I know about auction sentry sooner? What a wonderful tool. Thanks.

Linda
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NE146: Nor would a server-based sniping service last very long if they misused passwords...

Another thing to consider, besides having to leave your computer on and the program running, what if your ISP goes down, or the Internet itself has regional hiccups? eSnipe's servers are very near eBay's own, minimizing that kind of problem. Not that they're common, just saying. Also not too practical for those still in the stone age with dialup! Confused The kicker for me is the ability to enter and monitor snipes from work and from home.

Linda: I kind of missed the "rush" of manual sniping after I switched to automated, but it is a lot more efficient!
NE146
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Another thing to consider, besides having to leave your computer on and the program running, what if your ISP goes down, or the Internet itself has regional hiccups? eSnipe's servers are very near eBay's own, minimizing that kind of problem. Not that they're common, just saying. Also not too practical for those still in the stone age with dialup! Confused The kicker for me is the ability to enter and monitor snipes from work and from home.

You're right of course. I have had times where my internet connection had gone down and I missed a snipe. But it really hasn't been that huge a problem to be quite honest (maybe two or three missed bids in the past couple of years?.. nothing really rare thankfully Laughing). Also, if you have dialup that's another story alltogether. Like anything, you really have to gauge yourself which type of service suits your needs.

I guess the thing with Auction Sentry is it's a one time cost (or perhaps a bootleg version of the program for free if you're unscrupulous Wink). After that, you pretty much are on your own sniping away at your control. I keep my computer on 24/7 anyway so it's been working great for me with years of sniping without fees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: