The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
High Score Club?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: High Score Club? Reply with quote

I've noticed several posts over here about the posibility of having a high score/competition thread or sub forum. As someone who spends lots of time over at Atariage, I've found the high score club over there to be a fun way of getting you to play games that get 'lost in the collection', or just have some fun competing or talking (friendly) smack. It's always nice to see your high score up on the boards too.

I know the userbase over here is a lot smaller then AA, but is anyone interested in having one of these? I'm game if so. It'll will give me more incentive to waste money on ebay to get more of these things. I'm rather amazed to notice they are eclipsing my evening Atari fix. Laughing

So, what d'ya think? Anyone game?
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME ME ME ME!!! Mr. Green

If we had a high score section, would the list be limited to more common games so most of us could post our best scores. If our best scores were postable for Every game, Rik could have a nightmare keeping up with all the changes. Would there be any point in including really easy games? As a kid I could beat my GCL Galaxy Invader on level 3 with my eyes shut with out loosing a life (though I did play it a heck of a lot Embarassed ).

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can create a High Score section, and then maybe in there create an Entex thread, Coleco thread, etc for all the major companies... We could then just ad a message to the thread with a new high score (picture for proof if you think it's needed, but we can probably trust everyone here... Cool ), or I could edit the top message of each thread with the latest score unless we start tracking hundreds of games...

We'll also have to keep track of what games have a max score... I can hit the maximum score on all the Tandy Fire Away games for example. Some just top out at 1999 or something. Any game that appears to have an ever-increasing score we should definitely do. Since the displays in most of the games are fixed, technically they all have a max possible score they can display, but some are probably damn hard to get to...

I have my high scores for Entex Pac Man 2 and Microvision Block Buster somewhere (from back in the 80s)... I even bought a game recently that had high scores written on the inside of the box, maybe I should add those to the list. Mr. Green

Throw around some ideas and start recording scores, we'll get something put together! (as scores start to settle and don't get beaten all the time, I could even ad them to the main Museum page for that game...)

Rik
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! Don't forget that there are some emulators too over at Madrigal's site (and elsewhere). They may not be 100% accurate, but it would allow more people to participate. Having played the high score club on and off over at AtariAge, here is what I would suggest:

Pick the top twenty or thirty most common/most playable games (Defender, Pac man 2, the Coleco table tops, the nintendo tabletops, some of the Tomy games like tron and scramble etc) and give them dedicated threads. Once a week or so someone can cut and past the current high scores to the top of the thread for easy reference.

Alternately, you could subdivide by game type. Rather than break it up into entex, coleco or whatever, you could have three sub-forums called LED, VFD, and LCD and put the threads there. I would also do a thread asking everyone here to pick their top ten favorite games. It might make the selection process easier. Game tips, tricks and advice should be posted at the top of the thread.

Atariage also allows a different member to pick the 'game of the week/month' and that thread then gets stickied to the top of the forum. The person can then write an intro to the game, and why they like it. Points are given to the participants, and a yearly winner is announced in december based on the person with the most points.

Also, since we're going on the honor system, I agree we don't need photos, though they are fun to look at.

I'd love to see this board get a lot more use. I've really fallen in love with these games, and they are every bit as fun as the classic video games.

Rik, would you mind if I posted a link over at Atariage? I might be able to get a few people to come on over here and participate.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea ! That would give me a good reason to play my games without having my wife saying that i'm a nostalgic Shocked

I think that we should register scores on the hardest settings, but then again it would mean very fast on the entex games with a speed control... anyway we need some standards.

Pictures or not... depends if the forum can handle a lot, personnally i'd be proud to show the pic Wink as for trust i'm sure that we are all honest, anyway even a pic won't prove if you're the one who did it !
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a great idea ! That would give me a good reason to play my games without having my wife saying that i'm a nostalgic Shocked

I think that we should register scores on the hardest settings, but then again it would mean very fast on the entex games with a speed control... anyway we need some standards.

Pictures or not... depends if the forum can handle a lot, personnally i'd be proud to show the pic Wink as for trust i'm sure that we are all honest, anyway even a pic won't prove if you're the one who did it !

I agree, the hardest setting should be used. Speed control should be ramped all the way up on Entex games.

So, do we want to wait until Rik has time to add a new sub forum, or do you guys want to pick a game and get started? Cool
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my little black book at the ready! Just waiting for a list of games so I can start quoting Very Happy . My black book scores are mostly easy to beat I would think as their just the scores I used to get when I first started collecting. I haven't added to it for a long time. Any higher scores/better times I get in future I will try and provide photographic evidence for.

Neil.
NE146
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sup Lord Thag! Wink Another Atariager here eh Smile

Yknow.. the thing about the classic vfd/lcd/led handhelds, is a lot of them are super easy! I dont know about you guys but the games I had I mastered most of them to the point I could play them indefinitely. So it becomes more a point of endurance. Not to mention a lot of them have max scores of 4-5 digits Razz

But maybe there's some games out there that will prove me wrong Surprised
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some of them can get pretty tough... Like the Entex Pac Man 2, it doesn't have an end, and gets REALLY fast as you get 20 or 30 levels in. I have a high score on it somewhere from my youth, but I think I was playing on difficulty 1, so I'll have to re-achieve it on Level 2... Smile

The Coleco games can get kind of hard too, esp Donkey Kong.

So, there's at least a few that will make good high-score games.

I am going to make a thread for this, so don't give up on me! Mr. Green Start getting some scores and we'll see how we all rank right out of the gate. Cool
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sup Lord Thag! Wink Another Atariager here eh Smile

Hey, good to see you! It was cool actually meeting you at NWCGE this year. Now that you mention it, I do have a vague recollection of you posting some pics of your handheld stuff awhile back. Hyper Olympic Challenge was one of them if I recall.

And yeah, some of the games are somewhat easy, but most of the Coleco games are challenging on hard, and the same goes for the Entex games. Scramble and Tron are pretty tough too after awhile.

I've found a lot of the LCD games to be quite easy. I could max out all of the ones I had as a kid pretty much, minus a couple of the harder G&W games.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey we talked a lot about the VFD games, but let's not forget the LED ones, there are some great LED games out there, also it would be nice to have a sports section ! The sports games are sometimes quite challenging, and since most of them are limited in time you don't play for hours to get a score Wink .
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey we talked a lot about the VFD games, but let's not forget the LED ones, there are some great LED games out there, also it would be nice to have a sports section ! The sports games are sometimes quite challenging, and since most of them are limited in time you don't play for hours to get a score Wink .

Yes, I'm discovering that. I don't generally like sports games, but I've found the old Mattel Football II and baseball to be quite challenging and fun. There are also some pretty good LCD games too. Many of the Game and Watch ones are great fun (DKJr, DKII, Mario Bros etc) and, as are some of the others. I particularly like the AD&D handheld. It's basically the old 'hunt the wumpus' game.

I'm still learning a lot of my games, so I've yet to come up with many good scores. Why don't we just start a thread with high scores for whatever you guys want to list scores on, and we can sort it all out once we have a seperate forum?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Thag wrote:
I particularly like the AD&D handheld. It's basically the old 'hunt the wumpus' game.

Wow, hadn't thought about Hunt the Wumpus in a _LONG_ time... Mr. Green

Do many of the sports pose an actuall challenge and score? I keep thinking most of them are meant for two players (like the Mattel Football, the 'computer' never actually takes the ball and tries to beat you...). If there's an easy way to track that kind of score... (Maybe add up the score for both teams and just see who can actually score the most number of TDs total for both teams?)

I've neen looking at the HSC on Atariage, would we want to do anything like that? (They pick a game, say Coleco Donkey Kong, and we all have one or two weeks to get our best scores, then fame and glory for that person). Or, should we just have a 'Guiness Book of Records' type thing were we just keep track of all the games and who ever has the highest score? (That way we aren't limiting or excluding people that may not have a certain game.)

Any Microvision fans involved in this? I'm always looking for an excuse to waste hours on Block Buster again! (My favorite handheld Breakout clone.)

Throw out some final ideas on this and gather up some scores, I'll create the forum over the weekend... (Personally, I'm just thinking keep a list of the top 20-30 games and what the high score is... We just have to decide on a standard for setting difficulty... I'd say hardest possible settings, but if the game has a 'default' state for everyone at powerup, we could use that too. (Like Microvision, when you turn on Block Buster, it's always the same settings...))

Rik
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microvision... gotta get one of those, i always wanted it as a kid !

Some led games like the multiple versions of space invaders, the pinball ones would be great in the list.

As for the sports games, some of them are easy to get the high scores, i think of Coleco bowlatronic, most of the Entex sports games let you have a real one player score, Tandy golf. As for the others, your suggestion could be a nice solution Rik.

Personally i'd prefer a hall of fame style instead of only one game that some of us wouldn't have.
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Personally i'd prefer a hall of fame style instead of only one game that some of us wouldn't have.

I think that's the best way to go, given the smaller userbase here, and the fact that many of us don't own the games. Kind of a 'twin galaxies' for handhelds.

Maybe we could do a 'highlight' of the week where a game gets reviewed and spotlighted.

Actually, if we did that, the review could then be added to the game's page in the museum. That woud be helpful for new collectors like me who are still trying to make heads or tales of what to buy next Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: