The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Gakken SuperCobra game doubts and confirmations request
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Gakken SuperCobra game doubts and confirmations request Reply with quote

Hi all guys!

This is my debut on this board! Yessss!

Yesterday I received a Gakken's SUPER COBRA handheld (http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Gakken/SuperCobra.htm) I bought on eBay and which is in really good conditions.

I just have a couple of doubts about initial and final gameplay sequences, so I'm asking anyone having it, if he could check them on his version.

1) when U turn on the game, which is its behaviour? My SUPER COBRA continues rotating game level numbers (from 1 to 4) in upper right screen corner, waiting for user to press GAME button choosing the begin level and starting playing. Is it normal? Shouldn't there be a usual "demo" play sequence after turning on?

2) when U end a game, what should it happens? My SUPER COBRA shows the last gameplay screen (or should I say: "...freezes on the last game screen..."?) and there's no way to begin another play if not turning it off/on again: this is the strangest behaviour...is it normal? I think it's quite strange having to turn off game power and then turning it on again to make 2 plays in a row.

Does exist a scan of SUPER COBRA manual around?

Thx everybody for the answers! Have a nice day and play! Wink

Bye, D.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Douglas,
Welcome to our little Forum Very Happy . I haven't played this game for a while and I'm not sure I have ever finished it Embarassed , but I will try and get it down tonight and find you some answers. It might take me a day or two to finish it but I will get back to you Wink .

All the best,

Neil.
Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil UK wrote:
Hello Douglas,
Welcome to our little Forum Very Happy . I haven't played this game for a while and I'm not sure I have ever finished it Embarassed , but I will try and get it down tonight and find you some answers. It might take me a day or two to finish it but I will get back to you Wink .

All the best,

Neil.

Hi Neil! 1st of all thx 4 the answer... Smile

It's not required U'll finish it... just lose all the lives available: the power off/on is required every time U complete (successfully or not) a game.

Lemme know! Smile

Bye, D.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards!

Actually, the way it's functioning is fairly normal for a lot of these games. I have several that just sit with a number counting when you first turn it on (so you can select your difficulty level), and when the game ends you do have to turn it off to start a new game. (Some of them even say something like 'Play Again' on the power switch. Mr. Green ).

If pressing the fire button or moving the joystick after your game doesn't re-start the 1-4 countdown, turning it off is probably normal.

Try turning the game on while holding down one of the fire buttons or holding the joystick in one of the four positions. Sometimes this will start a display test and then throw the game into a demo mode.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Douglas,
I've just got mine out and had a play with it and the way you described the start up and resetting of the game is exactly the same on mine. I believe it freezes on the last game screen so that sad people like myself can easily wright down our high scores or take photos of them if good enough for the Forums high score table (I haven't forgotten about this section Rik...just been real busy....to coin a phrase "I'll be back" ).

Switch the game on while holding down the MISSILE button for a nice display test followed by demo mode.

I could do with a copy of the instructions too. The Gakken section of the Instruction Manuals section seems to be a bit thin compared with makes such as Entex. Maybe Rik could put this one on the Museum by request for us when he gets time Wink

Thanks, Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, if you forgive me for not updating my site in months, I'll forgive you for not adding high scores. Mr. Green Mr. Green

Since you confirmed the Missile button starts the demo mode (just like the Entex Super Cobra), can you check and see if the games are identical? (If you don't have Entex, I have the manual for it online, see if it would apply to the Gakken game...)

If you can scan/send me a copy of your manual I'll put it on the site. One of the problems I have with some of my Gakken games is that they decided to be cute and print the manuals for different games in different colors. Like my 'green-style' Super Cobra and it's bright yellow manual:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Gakken/SuperCobraGreen.htm
This is hard to scan and get a black & white image from. I guess I try scanning it in color and see if it's readable... (It's actually hard to read the real manual...). I don't have the manual for the version we are discussing... But I think I have the Tandy version, if I can find that I'll get it on the site.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rik,
I'm just off to bed now but I will do a full comparison of the 2 games tomorrow for you.

Sorry, but I don't have a manual....I think you took me wrong there.

The Tandy one will do just fine when you find it Very Happy

Thanks very much,

Neil.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Entex and Gakken games have different lanscapes and missile/fuel dump positions so do play differently but both styles of Gakken play EXACTLY the same. The only difference is that the green one has a nice 3 coloured fuel gauge instead of a all red one, but the larger cased one has a much clearer and larger screen/sprites. Both gakkens have the advantage of a 3 colour VFD display.

On the Entex Super Cobra you state that "Holding down the Missile button while turning on the machine will start a graphics test, and then enter a demo mode (which is different every time)". My game has started identically about 8 times in a row and has the same start as the screenshot on the Museums page. Did you test using the 'right handed' 3 button version? Maybe this starts randomly? I'm afraid I can't test that as I sold mine Rolling Eyes

The display test of all 4 games are very similar and I suspect have been copied from each other or have been written by the same people. Cosmic Scramble also uses the Missile button to activate the test/demo mode but this is the only one to have the Missile button on the right of the bomb button.

Hope this helps,

Neil.
Douglas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s**t...I've not been notifed for replying to this post! Very Happy

Neil, THANX A LOT for your tests!!! Now I'm sure the game I bought is working 100% fine! The only thing I hope it's that the power witch will resist and it'll not got broken soon (it's quite hard...I'd add some "lubricant" to it so that it'll run smooth Wink)

And now let's search for the instruction manual scan: unluckily it seems one of the few missing from HHM.com Instruction Manuals section... maybe it's quite "rare" (even if I think it's quite strange Smile)

If I'll found it I'll let U know immediatly and I'll send it to Rik for posting it.

Bye, D.
Spector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the FAQ that these games take 4 'C' batteries. What make of batteries do you prefer to use in VFD games? Are rechargeables okay?
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spector,
I would use Nickle Metal-Hydride (NIMH) batteries of the largest capacity possible, though watch out for batteries that are very slighty bigger than 25 years ago as some might not fit into ungenerous battery compartments.
If your happy with the games polarity and don't mind being fairly close to a power socket then a transformer will save time, effort and money.

Neil.
Spector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil UK wrote:
Hi Spector,
I would use Nickle Metal-Hydride (NIMH) batteries of the largest capacity possible, though watch out for batteries that are very slighty bigger than 25 years ago as some might not fit into ungenerous battery compartments.
If your happy with the games polarity and don't mind being fairly close to a power socket then a transformer will save time, effort and money.

Neil.

Ta for that. A couple of follow up questions - regarding the games mentioned in this thread, how long roughly would you expect NiMH/Alkaline batteries to last?
And secondly regarding the transformer (file under 'newbie question')- I have one that can vary voltage and polarity, but how exacly would I use that with a machine that accepts only batteries (assuming there is no DC socket on it)?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I know of (short of adding your own AC adapter jack) would be to get the Coleco Perma-Power adapter. It has 4 fake C-cell/UM-2 batteries that you put in like regular batteries (only works on C-cell games of course).

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco/Perma.htm

Rik
Spector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that have played both versions of Super Cobra (Gakken and Entex), which one do you think is best in terms of playability? Or are they too similar to separate?
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: pricing please? Reply with quote

Can anyone provide me with an estimate of what one would expect to pay for an Entex Super Cobra?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: