The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Q*bert graphics test differences?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Q*bert graphics test differences? Reply with quote

Hi Rik,
As I had my Q*bert down I thought I'd see if there was a graphics test built into the game. I was pleased to find that there was. When checking the Museum I was curious to find you state that

"Holding the controller in any direction while turning it on will cause the game to beep. Release the controller and then: Upper-right- high pitch test, Lower-right- lower pitch test, Upper-Left- graphics test (hold to scroll up), Lower-left- top number check."

as my games graphics test works somewhat differently :-

There is no 'beep' when turning the game on but there is a 'pitch' test except for when the controller is in the Upper-left position when there is no noise.

Upper right gives a LOW pitch test

Lower right gives a MEDIUM pitch test

Lower left gives a HIGH pitch test

Upper Left gives the line by line graphics test (one line for every time the joystick is pressed in that direction).

Once the graphics test has been initiated, moving the joystick in any other direction will start the 'moving' top number check (except for the right most number.

Could your Q*bert be programmed slightly differently to mine? If so, I wonder if the games play Exactly the same.

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, just checked my current 'open-box' Q*Bert (that I play with), and it works like you just described... When I get home I'll try my boxed one (which should be the original one I had when I wrote that webpage) and see if it is different or not... Maybe there are two different 'models'.

Anyone else with a Q*Bert handy? Try it out see what results you get...

Rik
slugbait76
Microvision

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. I'll root it out later and give it a go.
slugbait76
Microvision

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, mine behaves the same as Neil's.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a note taped on my car keys so I won't forget... Watch this space, I'll check it tonight... Rolling Eyes
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, finally checked it, and it does work the way everyone else's does... I think when I was trying to figure it out, I just did an up-rt, then dn-rt, then up-lt (and got the graphics test), then dn-lt (for the score test). I probably just never checked it again... Neutral Anyway, I'll update the info on the site...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: