The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO BATTERY COVER!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO BATTERY COVER!!! Reply with quote

I see a game that i have been hunting for since 19-bow & arrow. Yes at last (big adrenalin rush) fingers at the ready to fire in the daddy of maximum bids. Works perfect, boxed, good condition. Then the sickening blow to the stomach NO BATTERY COVER. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Please, Please tell me i am not the only one who has suffered this in the past.

Has anybody out there got a box of spare battery covers just in case this nightmare hits me again.

Peter Pie.
Doc Kaotic
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Duct Tape you can have Laughing
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not much worse than finding that tough-to-find game and seeing it has no battery cover... It's hard enough just to find the game, now you have to wait for ANOTHER one that's complete... (I'm in that situation with Entex Black Knight Pinball... Sad ) What game is it that you are referring to?

Two other things that I hate when I buy games off Ebay (these things are usually not mentioned or overlooked by sellers):

Like new boxed game! Yay! When it arrives, it's just the game in the box... No instructions or packing material included... I still don't get how so many people have kept their games for years and the box, but managed to throw away the styrofoam inserts that were in the box! Damn, damn, damn...

And even worse: Game complete with battery cover! When it arrives, it's obvious that is still includes the original batteries left in 20 years ago! That always makes for a fun evening of scraping out battery goo in hopes that the contacts will survive enough to still work... Shocked

I've run into both situations on many occasions unfortunately...

Rik
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rik

The game i am reffering to is UFO Master-Blaster Station by Bambino.

Thank you Doc Kaotic for your duct tape offer. : Laughing

I also remember putting in AAA small batteries instead of AA and making up the rest of the room with silver tape because those were all i could find at the time. Laughing

Peter Pie
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of battery corrosion has anybody experimented with methods of rust removal such as electrolysis or acid baths? I'm worried about damaging my games further by using sandpaper in the battery enclosures. I'd rather take them apart and remove the terminals for cleaning, or perhaps even replace them altogether - it should be fairly easy to find suitable replacements at an electronics store for most games, I would think.
nicknicknickandnick
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a used (and dry) toothbrush to brush away the loosest part of the corrosion. I also rub the metal while wearing cotton gloves. If that brings the game to a usable state, I let it be after that. I've also used toothpicks to poke at corrosion.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicknicknickandnick wrote:
I use a used (and dry) toothbrush to brush away the loosest part of the corrosion.

Thanks, I'll try that. Might even go the whole hog and use toothpaste, it's a mild abrasive after all. Mr. Green
Goldie
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anywhere to get battery covers??? Confused
Kohlrabielektrode

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to All,

I'm new here and glad to be able to offer at least Battery-Covers for Coleco-Tabletops. I make this by resin moulding process which spends a while. I'm using a 2Component-Polyurethan-Mixture for the Cover which leads to a Duromere with high physical hardness and really good flexibility. This will be moulded within a Form out of Silicon. After the moulding, I paint it matt black. Due to the efforts and material price (500g Siliconresin + hardener approx. 35$). I can offer a cover for 15Euro + delivery costs.
I could send worldwide from Germany.
Standard Colour Black, special colours as wished are also possible.
R.O.B.
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a way to get battery corrosion off without hurting the machine,you get acahol and a q-tip. works very well.
slugbait76
Microvision

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeping the contacts in Coca Cola works quite well too.
SpaceFury

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Contacts Reply with quote

Cleaning contacts that have been covered with battery acid is actually quite simple. Use white distilled vinegar on a Qtip.

Go back in time to science class. The only way to deactivate an acid, is with a base.

Saturate the corrosion and wipe away lightly being sure not to drip inside the game. If you scrape with some of the items that Ive read in this thread, you will certainly ruin the contact points.

If you have a contact that is down to the bear metal due to corrosion and the game still wont turn on with batteries in it, buy a rear window defroster repair kit from your local auto parts store.

Its a liquid that you paint on like nail polish. When it dries, it makes it conductive again.

Ive been repairing toys for years and these methods DO WORK and WORK WELL.

Happy Gaming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: