The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to repair LCD games (if possible)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: How to repair LCD games (if possible) Reply with quote

Hello,

I have some LCD games on which the screen doesn't work. A part (if not all) of the screen is always on. I tried to open the games and I find that the screen was in fact made of 3 parts : a glass, a filter and a plastic screen on which all the caracters and background are painted. But I can't find what to do to repair it.

Hope you will be able to help me.

Thanks,
Sylvain
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sounds like the 'screen rot' problem that plagues a lot of older LCD games. Something (I believe heat and/or humidity over the years) causes the LCD to become damaged, which usually results in it looking like it's on all the time (even with batteries removed). If that's the case (if your LCD looks like it's partly on even without batteries), it's pretty much gone. The only way to fix it is to replace the LCD.

You can see an example of this here:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/SpaceInvaders.htm
That game is off, and the whole display is almost completely black (it should look like the little at the bottom of that page). The only way I can fix it is to replace the LCD...

Sorry about that... (If the 'always on' part of the LCD goes off when you remove the batteries, that could be physical damage to the LCD, or the connection between the LCD and the circuit could be bad or corroded...)

If you just want the game to _look_ normal while on display, remove the filter piece from under (or on top of) the LCD. That should make the black sections of the LCD appear transparent again (but you still won't be able to play the game...) I did that with my Star Castle game to clean it up a little:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/StarCastleLCD.htm
It just barely has the screen rot problem (so it's still playable), but I wanted the pic to look good... Should have done that with Space Invaders... Mr. Green

Rik
lord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the screen rot problem. You're right. So there is nothing I can do to repair it. I think will do like you said for display.

Thansk for all,
Sylvain
R.O.B.
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I do this with my microvision screen because it still works but has a slight amount of screen rot that gets on my nerves. Thanks,
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you take out the polarizing filter, the LCD will look nice and clear (so you can display a 'clean' game for people), but you won't be able to play it. (Removing the filter makes the LCD invisible, even when the game is operating normally). Taking a Microvision apart down to the LCD is a pain (and you may never get it back together and working perfectly), so I'd recommend against it..
R.O.B.
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way I can replace the screen on my microvision? because I would like it to look better so I can play or display it.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only source of Microvision screens I know of is other Microvisions... So you'd have to buy another one with a better screen, and then you might as well just use that one..

Do you still need a Blockbuster cartridge? I found an extra, PM me your address and I'll send it to you...

Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: