The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
eBay surprises...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LEDFreak
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: eBay surprises... Reply with quote

After receiving about 20 games in the last few weeks, I did get a nice surprise.
I won a copy of Digits, a game that I played when I was 12. The listing didn't even brag about what great shape it was in. when I opened it up I was blown away. This game is truly mint. Even the back is not yellowed, and the back instruction sticker is smooth and brand new looking. It makes up for some of the games I received that were dirtier than expected.
Pretty darn good for a game that is 28 years old!
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an Ebay surprise today too. A Rosy Astro Vader whose lovely 'space scene' was fine in the pictures was found to be in about 30 pieces when I opened the box Crying or Very sad . I suppose it was brittle and didn't like it's trip from the USA to the UK Sad . At least the game works fine Smile .

Would it be possible to print a picture of the 'space scene' onto perspex from a photo that someone has taken of theirs and fit it into my game. It wouldn't be perfect but it might be better than nothing.

It also has bad yellowing of the case. Does anyone know if it can this be reduced/removed by using the scratch removing products in the FAQ? If so, which would be the best to use?

Thanks

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried removing yellowing by polishing down the plastic and it usually doesn't help much. Unfortunately the yellowing is not just on the surface, it kind if 'sinks in' a little. Find a game you don't care about with the yellowing problem and test on that... But I wouldn't expect much...

As for the Space Scene... If I can find my Astro Vader, I can scan it (unless it's glued in place...). I can't remember, do you need to see through the image, or is it just a border? If it's just a border, you can probably just print it on paper...

Rik
LEDFreak
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Vim ( a household cleaner ) to reduce and remove yellowing with pretty good results on light coloured games that show the yellowing. For example, I used it on Mattel Football, and Coleco Electronic Quarterback, and it turned out great. Just don't use it on the stickers. It has a very mild bleaching agent.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I never thought of trying something that could bleach the plastic... I guess that would only work on white or nearly-white games though... (I have some blue games that 'fade' into an aqua color, might not get good results on that.. Smile ).

I have some junk games though, I'll have to experiment with some stuff...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: