The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Everybody must have this game.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Everybody must have this game. Reply with quote

What is the most common vintage handheld game? What game does everybody have in their collection? I personally think that this game especially in the U.K. is Galaxy Invader 1000. Do you agree? On ebay this game pops up every two-three weeks boxed. This maybe different across the globe. I would love to know.

Peter Pie.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good question, i'd say Coleco Electronic Quarterback has to be one of the most popular in America, i remember that most of my friends had that one !
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy Invader is quite common here in Australia. It was the first game I owned, so I've often wondered if any of the ones I've seen on eBay is mine. I never marked my games, so there's no way I'll ever know...

I've never seen a boxed one, mind you. I currently own three of them in various states of disrepair; I'm hoping to make one good one from them, when I find the time. Frankenvader 1000. Laughing

Galaxian 2 and Tomy Pacman also abound. I suppose they were easier to market here than the more esoteric games.
Doc Kaotic
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking up here in Canada it's got to be Coleco Head 2 Head Hockey. Who didn't have hockey? If you didn't we made you move to the States where you could play football or baseball or something. Wink
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By sheer numbers seen at garage sales and thrift stores, around here (Wisconsin) I've seen Simon easily ten times more than any other electronic game.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon's a good guess, but from personal experience I'd have to say Tomy Blip. It seems like EVERY single time I buy a collection of more than 2 games, there's a Blip involved. At one time I had 8 or 9 of them, and just gave up trying to sell them and threw some of them away... That's the ONLY handheld game I've ever actually brought myself to just throw away... (granted they were missing battery covers and pretty beat up, but to actually throw away one of our treasures? Shocked )

If you don't have a Blip (in America at least), I'm convinced you had to make an effort to avoid them. Mr. Green
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain that Simon is much more common around here; maybe up here in the cold all the Blips got played until they wore out and got tossed?

Laughing
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right about Simon guys. That game also tends to pop up everywhere, even in good boxed condition. Maybe because it was more of a family game. I cannot believe Rik has thrown games away!!!!

Peter Pie.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a load of Simons selling cheap (or not at all!) in the USA where there must be a comparative glut of them. Some people in the UK buy them cheap during the year and sell them over here during the run up to Christmas. I have been tempted to do this myself as I have seen a good boxed (American) example sell for ?150 just before Christmas!!! and several have gone at ?80-90.
Galaxy Invader 1000 is my most treasured game from my childhood and the last I would sell of my collection. It's not worth much money but holds more memories than any other Smile
Blip was my very first electronic game when I was 7. I still remember asking my father what Digital meant! I seem to remember he said it was probably to do with using your 'digits' (fingers) to press the buttons!!! I think Blip must have been one of the first uses of the word 'digital' Wink I probably see more Blip's for sale than anything else in the UK.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that probably helps Simon be the most common is the fact that it's still in production (at least in the US). The model you can get now is the clear one, not the black one, but they've been making this for what... 27 years? It'd be like trying to find a Monopoly board game- Turn around, there's probably one behind you. Mr. Green

They may not be making the standard 4-button one since the new Simon2 came out a couple of years ago, but I can still walk into Toys R Us today and buy one...
mario101
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mattel's Football. It sold very well. Rik, if you were going to throw Blip away, I would of taken it, I don't have it. I didn't belive it was THAT popular.
Panic Button
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree for the UK it's Galaxy Invader 1000 that seems to show up most on ebay. Mini Munchman is also very common. Interestingly though, these 2 games seem to attract the most bidding as well. In LCD land, Donkey Kong Game & Watch is very common on ebay, but again attracts lots of bidding regardless. So the popular games back then are the most popular now...
pergessle
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Australia I notice alot of Galaxy Invader 1000's, Tomy Pacman and Puck Monster at swapmeets/flea markets. I see them so often I dont grab them anymore unless they are boxed.
Tabletops its Tomy Cave Man/Scramble & Astro Wars. Now Im seeing alot of Tomy KingMans.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pergessle wrote:
In Australia I notice alot of Galaxy Invader 1000's, Tomy Pacman and Puck Monster at swapmeets/flea markets.

Where are these markets of which you speak? I've never seen any games at all other than on eBay. Mind you I've given up after years of finding nothing. Sydney's probably not the best place to look, anything decent won't last long.

I'd say ditto on Donkey Kong and Galaxy Invader. Nice little earners if you can get 'em cheap as part of a lot.
pergessle
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In WA. There's around 20 every Sunday here. Sure it's harder finding games these days since ebay became another income to many, but if you put the effort in it pays off. You do have time you don't find nothing then you find 2 Tomy Sherman Attacks & a Judge G&W the same day and it kicks you on for few more weeks.
I remember the day I just missed out on that boxed Tiger King Kong with the flip top lid to a local ebay seller I always used to see. I was spewin that day Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: