The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Arcades in the 70's & 80's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Arcades in the 70's & 80's Reply with quote

In the late 70's & early 80's this is where my pocket money went. Original Space Invaders,Phoenix,Gorf,Defender,Track & Field. I could not keep off the damn things. But let's face it, The games did last a decent amount of time for your money. In the late 80's, the only place I could find these games was at a fair ground. I bet most of you were just as hooked. Laughing

Peter Pie.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haaaaa the arcades !!!! It's crazy the amount of money that i've put in those machines. First one i got hooked on was Galaxians, then Defender what an awesome game !

All those hours on Black Tiger and Mat Mania, well a lot of memories Very Happy

But for me the best of arcade times besides the first years was Street Figther and Mortal Kombat series, competition with friends... so much fun !
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a pinball freak, myself. I had this attitude that pinball was a better place to stick quarters because "something was actually happening." Rolling Eyes

Then I became a programmer and gained a new appreciation for video games... Still never got into feeding the standups though, just home consoles.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the early days of playing Frogger, Centipede, etc at Daddy's Money in Seabrook, TX... The building is still there (dispite a few hurricanes), but of course it's something else now... (I can still remember trying to tie a string to a quarter and feeding it into Frogger to get free games... Never worked tho. Mr. Green )

In college I got hooked on Black Tiger, Double Dragon and Rolling Thunder. I learned how to reach the end of each them on one life, and how long it took... So, if I needed to kill 25 minutes, Double Dragon. 45 minutes to kill? Black Tiger it is... (about 30ish I think for Rolling Thunder) I loved when someone would place a quarter on the game when I started and would wait there for me to die. I'd then walk off during the end credits! Yessss!

F-14 Tomcat got me into pinball games... I had never heard of multi-ball (didn't play pinball much) and about freaked when I was suddenly battling 4 balls at once! One of these days I'm going to own that machine... I love going to California Extreme now and just playing free pinball for two days! (Not counting admission, of course...)

Rik
Doc Kaotic
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting quarters on machines to "save" them. I forgot all about that. Now I can remember wandering around the arcade putting 50 cents here, 75 cents there to hold my place for when I was "ready". Rolling Eyes

And oh the classic rock that poured out. Journey I remember specifically.
Pocket_Computer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember them.....one of the first games i played was computer space, i liked it a lot but then the machine broke where the arcade had it Yessss!
mario101
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe first arcade game I ever played was Ms. Pac Man at the pizza shop my sister worked. The 2nd was Donkey Kong Jr. at Fun-O-Rama at the beach.
R.O.B.
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad is a fan of the arcades and he used the quarter and string trick for free games and it worked, I think this arcade was called starbase 69 where my dad went when he was in high school. Theres a arcade mahine at my local senond hand shop and it has 25 games on it and my favorite game on it is burger time a great game! Yessss!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, in case I haven't shared this with anyone here, the reason I spell my name 'Rik' is because of video games. In the 80's when I was playing Pac Man, Galaga, Xevious and all my other favorites, I wanted to put my first name on the high score lists instead of my initials. So I dropped the 'c' from Rick so it would fit, and that's stuck with me ever since... Mr. Green

I get to share that story everytime someone asks me why I spell my name that way. Hehe...
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky that my first name is Patrick, so i always used PAT on my high scores... i still do on MAME Laughing
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
BTW, in case I haven't shared this with anyone here, the reason I spell my name 'Rik' is because of video games. ...

Cool, but I am more curious what, if anything, 1138 means. I would guess it's a spin on THX 1138... ???
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... Lucas/Star Wars fan, and when 'Rik' was already used somewhere, instead of making up a generic number I just figured it be fun to use 1138 (Lucas usually uses the number somewhere in all of his movies. Luke and Han were 'transferring' Chewie from cell block 1138 in Star Wars when they were rescuing Princess Leia... Stuff like that. I think it's on a license plate in American Graffiti.)

Some people get it right away... Cool
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I forgot all about putting quarters on machines to save your place.
I cant tell you how much cash I blew on those machines. We had a bowling alley within walking distance of our house. Stared out playing Asteriods, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Scramble, etc. Then our local A+P installed a Mrs Pacman and Donkey Kong. Finally, we had two huge arcades that my parents would take us too. That's where I was introduced to Joust, Crazy Climber, Galaga, Frogger, Phoenix, Space Invaders, and countless others. Makes me want to build an arcade in my basement. Laughing
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really miss the old arcades Crying or Very sad
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do i... But at least there is the MAME emulator and if you have enough cash you can put that baby in a cabinet to get the real feel !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: