The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A couple of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: A couple of questions Reply with quote

I just bought a Selchow & Righter Reader?s Digest Q&A, and it is new still sealed in box... I'd really love to try it but then again i guess it must be worth more in it's present state, or is it, anyhow would you do it ?

And that brings me another question to all of you, do you collect those jewels because of the love of play you have/had for them, or for what they are worth, or both ?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would never open a sealed vintage game unless it had batteries included (in that case, just to remove the batteries, being as non-distructive as possible). If I decide I really want to play the game, I'd just buy a loose one off Ebay or something...

Loose Reader's Digest games are probably pretty cheap too... Not always the case though.

I started collecting becuase of a few games I had in my yout (what the hell's a 'yout'?), but now I just seem to collect them all (many of the games in my collection I still haven't bothered to actually play...)

Rik
number6
Microvision

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am like Rik in that I buy lose versions to play and keep my boxed versions boxed. It's amazing how much more you have to pay to get a complete boxed game. Oh well. It's still fun collecting even if I can't really afford to as much as I would like.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple of questions Reply with quote

blue6demon wrote:
And that brings me another question to all of you, do you collect those jewels because of the love of play you have/had for them, or for what they are worth, or both ?

At first I limited myself to the good looking games, as objets to scatter around my living room - Bambinos look like exotic retro hifi components from a distance, for example. I also picked up some of the games I had as a kid if I came across them at good prices.

Then the addiction started to kick in, but I was still happy to have unboxed games as long as they were in relatively good condition. Living in Australia I've always been grateful to find the objects of my desire in any condition, but the internet and the climbing exchange rate have recently made it possible to import them at less-than-extortionate prices. You can only use nostalgia to explain your obsession for so long, so I've started aiming for boxed games, and even upgrading some of my unboxed ones where possible, so I can tell my partner, friends and family that it's an investment. I think they're only humouring me when they say they believe me. Embarassed

I have a couple of games in sealed blister packs that I may never open, otherwise I'm quite happy to take them out of their boxes and play with them. Perhaps in a few years time when my finances have recovered from this initial onslaught I'll follow Rik's example and buy additional games just to play with, but until then I'll just continue to grab whatever comes my way, when I can afford to.

I'm still recovering from the shock of discovering that you can own over 1000 games and still want more... Twisted Evil
Peter Pie
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to know that as the years go by your collection is turning into a nice little nest egg. I would never sell any of my games at the moment because of the passion I have for collecting them. But I could see myself selling them in fifteen to twenty years time.

Peter Pie.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Pie wrote:
But I could see myself selling them in fifteen to twenty years time.

Only if I needed a new kidney. Or to pay the rent, as is the case right now. Sad
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me, i'm a total game addict (i still play a lot of PC games), i started with arcades and electronic games, so those are the first games to bring back lots of memories. Some that i buy i had, or played with various friends, others are totally new to me so i try them. The arcade is still a dream, i'd love to buy my own and place an emulator in it with all the classics Smile

So the ones (handhelds) i bought to date i do play with, but i 'll keep the sealed one intact, even if my curiosity tells me to open it Twisted Evil

Your advices and stories are really interesting !
phitter
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love baseball and as a kid, my favorite handheld was the Entex Baseball. I stumbled onto eBay some time ago and was pleased to find an Entex Baseball game in the box with a bunch of unused score sheets. I remembered the Mattel Baseball game and the Coleco Head to Head Baseball game but at first, I didn?t realize how many companies manufactured these handheld baseball games in the late 1970?s and early 1980?s. Then I stumbled onto Rik?s web site?and I guess I was hooked.

As a novice collector, however, I thought that the games would make great display items. They each had a stylized interpretation of a baseball field that made them little works of art. Under this ?display item? premises, I plunked down cash for a loose Tomy Digital Diamond that was missing its battery cover and a Sears Baseball that did not even work. Nice, but at this point, I have upgraded these items in my collection. (If you have a desperate need for a Digital Diamond missing battery its cover, let me know.)

I have 40 or so handheld baseball games and all but 4 have the box. I love looking at the boxes trying to figure out which actual baseball player the cheesy painting was based on. (i.e. that is clearly Rod Carew on the Bandai Baseball box.) I love the game boxes touting ?No TV Required? ? which is hilarious and must have blown our parents? minds. I love the fact that some of the games, which were on the cutting edge of electronic gaming technology, did not even contemplate a scorekeeping function. I especially love the memories of epic midwinter Entex baseball battles with my brother and cousin.

I have a few other handhelds (Castle Toy?s Kingpin II is my non-baseball favorite) but I still love the baseball ones the best.

So that?s my story?.

P.Hitter
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, post your best guesses (or if you know for sure) of what other players the artwork was based on for these games. I could add that info to the appropriate pages of the main site... That'd be kind of cool.

I was actually contacted by the guy that is one of the kids pictured on the back of the Coleco Head to Head Hockey game... I thought that was kind of amusing. (He requested anonymity though, so I can't post a current pic of him. Cool )

Rik
phitter
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a cool idea - I will take a look at the boxes and let you know.

The one I know off of the top of my head is - Rod Carew on the Bandai Baseball (1978, LED, 9 Volt, Model# 7931).

P.Hitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: