The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What the heck is this guy trying to say?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: What the heck is this guy trying to say? Reply with quote

Here is some text translated by Babelfish from German to English, from an ad for a VERY desirable game. It was added to the description after bids were placed.

I cannot discern what he is getting at, though. Is Babelfish this bad? Are there other translators I should try?:

"The offered commodity is sold by PRIVATE. The return, transformation or conversion of ersteigerter articles are impossible. The new your-genuinly plans a one year's guarantee/warranty also with gebrauchtwaren. This may not be for a dealer portable or attached, however under any circumstances for a private salesman. Consider please therefore the following terms of sale: Please you place their questions before delivery of a requirement!!! The article "like that as it is sold" of private, that means: with the delivery of a requirement, you explain yourselves expressly in agreement to do without you after new your-genuinly legally which is entitled the guarantee/warranty with gebrauchtwaren completely. The articles are offered to any adhesion and guarantee under exclusion. Do not offer, if you do not agree with these rules!!!!!"

P.S. I tried Dictionary.com's translator and got the same result...
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's basically saying the item is being sold as-is. After you accept shipment of the item, you can't return it for a refund...

Part of it also seems to be saying that this is a PRIVATE sale, so a 1-year warranty of some kind is not being offered on this item... Maybe he sells a lot of non-vintage stuff and offers a warranty on them, but this doesn't qualify?

It's probably no big deal, someone probably asked him some stupid question so he wrote all of that to cover himself... Cool
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought part of it was saying that he wouldn't sell to a dealer for resale. Which might be nice, except that wouldn't be "kosher" on eBay! Smile
Petrolpol
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the original text (german)
I will translate it for you if you like...

regards
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Die angebotene Ware wird von PRIVAT verkauft. Die Rückgabe, Wandlung oder Umtausch ersteigerter Artikel ist ausgeschlossen. Das neue EU-Recht sieht eine einjährige Gewährleistung/Garantie auch bei Gebrauchtwaren vor. Dies mag für einen Händler tragbar oder angebracht sein, jedoch keinesfalls für einen privaten Verkäufer. Beachten Sie bitte daher die folgenden Verkaufsbedingungen: Bitte stellen Sie ihre Fragen vor Abgabe eines Gebotes !!! Der Artikel wird "so wie er ist" von Privat verkauft, das bedeutet: mit der Abgabe eines Gebotes, erklären Sie sich ausdrücklich damit einverstanden, auf die Ihnen nach neuem EU-Recht gesetzlich zustehende Gewährleistung/Garantie bei Gebrauchtwaren völlig zu verzichten. Die Artikel werden unter Ausschluss jeglicher Haftung und Gewährleistung angeboten. Bieten Sie nicht, wenn Sie mit diesen Regeln nicht einverstanden sind !!!!!

Thanks!
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably sounded like too Surprised . I've used Bablefish in the past in order to put questions to foreign sellers. No wonder I never received sensible answers!!!

Neil.
mario101
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he dosn't WANT to sell it but has to? Like his wife maybe?
Petrolpol
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is just explaining that there is a new European law : Sellers have to give 1 year warranty on any sold object (new or used) unless they sell it as privat...

Bottom line : sold as is -> NO WARRANTY SmileSmileSmile

Do not bid if you do not agree with these terms...

Regards
mario101
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very funny. Laughing
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Petrolpol!

It just dawned on me, that must be what all this "Registered as a Private Seller" business is about under European sellers' names... I was wondering about that, too!
Petrolpol
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yw
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: