The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
tanatron's (Alex) collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Brag section!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panic Button wrote:
Hey Alex, just checked out your collection, again... Very very nice - both the collection and the website! Sorry Rik, but the way Alex lays out his games is better than the handheld museum's, you can navigate directly to the next / previous game in the category and there are more pics of each game - virtually all of which look MIB!

Oh, quit complaining already! Mr. Green Mr. Green (Just kidding)

I'm actually working on adding the next/previous buttons, but changing 1000+ pages will take some time. Smile Question about that: If you are at the last game of a category (say, Wanted G-Man in the Actronics), should there be a 'Next' button? And if so, should it be a button that goes to the first Actronics game (thus a loop in the Actronics category), or would you want it to go to the first Atari game? That way you could, if you wanted, go through every game in the museum by just clicking the next button forever... What makes more sense?

I have tons of pictures of all of my games too, again, it's just a time issue... Fortunately the Prop hobby doesn't take too much time, just way too much money. Rolling Eyes It's work that keeps me busy these days.... Although Oct-Dec is supposed to be the slow period, so hopefully there will be some decent updates soon.

Video and audio have always been something I've thought about too... Audio shouldn't be too hard to capture, it's video that's a little tricky for me (and make it look decent). I only have a digital camera with a 'video mode', so it's not the best looking video... But if you just want to see a game in action, I can start experimenting with it a little more... Again, the time thing (and the fact that most of my games are stashed in storage...)

My ultimate goal would actually to have a Wiki-style database that everyone could edit and add to (well, approved everyone's, that is...), but that involve a major overhaul of the entire site, which is kinda scary to think about... Even adding a 'blog' type comments section to each game page would be cool... It's not coded in the most efficient way (it was done small and quickly originally and has just ballooned from there), so making changes to every page is tedious...

The things I want to do... Cool

Rik
Panic Button
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need a 'Back To Categories' link as well as Previous/Next links, and that when you reach the end of one category you move on to the next...

I was thinking not so much video of games in play but maybe a couple of static pics to give you an idea of what the VFD/LED/LCDs look like - like you have in the Tomy Mr Go entry.

A comments section per entry would be great too... I'm a java/web developer by profession so adding something like that would be pretty easy 4 me to do. MySQL is very good open source database that could be used for that sort of thing... I imagine everything on the site is static html files other than the forum which is an off the shelf open source package...
kisember
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the off topic

Not to offense but I doubt if it really needed such features. I recently see suggestions how a handheld game protal should act but I don't think if you let these features available people would really use them.
Just to name a few that (almost) never happens to my site :
- no people make any comment
- no people edit description (wiki like)
- no people upload image
And there are a few other usefull options that never used but these are not in this wishlist, like: personal virtual collection, wanted list, trade list ...
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind navigating around the Museum as it is now. It seems fine to me as it is. To me, it is more important that the Museum contains accurate information and pictures on ALL known vintage 'handheld' electronic games.

I think it would be sad if Rik's time was spent fancying things up that work perfectly fine as they are, at the expence of furthering the scope, accuracy and interesting information of the games and companies in the Museum as Rik has stated a few times that he has a large backlog of games and information to add.

It would of course be great if he had time to list all the games etc as well as fancying up the Museum but would mean a Lot of work!

Neil.
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of the 14th of November 2008 :

500 games

of which :

474 boxed and 26 loose

http://www.webalice.it/claudia.alessandro/index.html

Alex
elepla
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations for getting to 500!

As for your homepage update, I would strongly suggest to remove the "homepage_music.mp3"!
On firefox/mac this file is opened externally in quicktime.
Generally it is not the best practice to start audio automatically on a webpage.

Cheers,
Jaro
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jaro!

The program I'm using dosn't give me the possibility to disable the autostart.Anyway...done!

Alex
elepla
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks!

You can always open up a lastfm account (or similar) to share your music preferences : )

BTW I really like the Galaga X6 EPOCH box. Excellent artwork. A bit like the japanese box of Galaxian 2.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this page do on a Mac?

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Movies/MemoriesOfGreen.htm

I have an audio piece there, but I believe I have it set to make you click on the Play icon to hear it...

If that works, this is the code I used:

<embed src="Vangelis.mp3" width="140" height="20" autostart="false" loop="FALSE">

You can probably use that if you want your music to be available in a little player...

Rik
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of the 20th of June 2009 :

of which :

575 boxed and 28 loose

It's becoming a rather important collection ,I think.

Alex
the-topdog
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Holy crap! What a wonderful collection and awesome website... I was feeling good about myself having just over 100 handheld games and computer systems in my retro technology collection, but you, Rik and all of you others make me look like an amateur. My biggest problem is getting the time to add them all to my website... I think I have like 12 systems added so far... woo-hoo just 90% to go Rolling Eyes I'll never get done Mr. Green

But anyway, I just love your collection!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Brag section! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: