The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A Yie Ar Kung Fu Plug and Play Sighting

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phitter
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: A Yie Ar Kung Fu Plug and Play Sighting Reply with quote

I was in a local Toys R Us this past summer and saw a Konami Plug and Play with Frogger, Yie Ar Kung Fu and some other games. I had never seen anything but the Plug and Play with Frogger only. I did not buy it that day and regrettably, I have never seen another one there or at any other store.

Has anyone seen this version available anywhere or was I just hallucinating? The Frogger only Plug and Play is everywhere but the version I saw had several other games. (I think it contained the same games as on the Konami greatest hits cart for the Gameboy Advance.)

If you might know where one is a available, I would love to know. Yie Ar Kung Fu was my favorite arcade game as a kid and it would be sweet to be able to play it on a screen bigger than a Gameboy.

Thanks-
phitter
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing that myself and thinking 'Why would I buy the Frogger only version when there's this one with six games including Frogger...' I didn't know it was so hard to find though. It's called Konami Advanced Arcade (like the GBA cart), and contains Frogger, Scramble, Time Pilot, Gyruss, Yie Ar Kung Fu and Rush'n Attack. Here's one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8231830869

(Search for 'Konami Arcade Classics joystick' with search in descriptions turned on, you'll find a couple...)

Rik
phitter
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rik - I snatched it right up.

phitter
phitter
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
MANUFACTURER DECEPTION WARNING

Holy crap I can't tell you how disappointed I was with the Komani Advanced Arcade plug and play. The Frogger is fine and I like Gyruss but the Yie Ar Kung Fu is some horrible Famicon hack version that I have seen sold as a homebrew ColecoVision cart.

The box and joystick themselves are rather deceptive in that they depict the main character Oolong from the arcade game. I guess I will just have to be happy with the GBA version that actually has the arcade version on it.

If anyone else was planning on buying this plug and play specifically for Yie Ar Kung Fu (or maybe I am the only one here who lists Yie Ar Kung Fu as my favorite arcade game) don?t waste your money ? buy the GBA cart instead.

What you want:

What you get:

-phitter
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phitter,
Sorry to hear you were deceived as to the gameplay of the plug in Yie Ar Kung Fu game. I have to admit I have never heard of this game before, but thought I'd have a look if it was on the MAME CD I have. The backround of the screen is different to the one you have shown; the one I have been playing looks like an icy blue scene with a waterfall. I presume the backround you showed would be further into the game. You might find this is what you are looking for as long as you don't mind using the keyboard to play.

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the backgrounds change as you advance through the game...

I was thinking maybe there was a licensing conflict, but if it's Konami's game, and they did/approved the joystick... That doesn't make sense either...
NE146
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phitter wrote:
the Yie Ar Kung Fu is some horrible Famicon hack version that I have seen sold as a homebrew ColecoVision cart.

Actually the Colecovision homebrew cart is based on the MSX version I believe.
phitter
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not checked in for a while and just wanted to say that I am still angry about this fraud upon the gaming public. My favorite all-time arcade game is Yie Ar Kung Fu and I was so excited to share this seminal game with my sons. Oh well.

Quite frankly, I am not sure if the Plug 'n' Play ("PNP") games fit with the handheld theme but I sure like them. The Coleco Head to Head PNP has a game in which you try to catch a fly between two chopsticks (surely inspired by the Karate Kid) that rocks. I can usually beat my four-year old...usually.

I always kicked my mom's or dad's ass at anything on any platform. It sure is weird to be sharing the games of my youth with my own kids though. Anyone else finding this to be a surreal time?

I think it is awesome that my kids love the original Star Wars and playing Entex Baseball.

-phitter
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: