The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thrift store horror story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Thrift store horror story Reply with quote

Just to prove that my luck isn't always that great:

Today I was in a thrift store, and literally by seconds, SECONDS, I missed out on a Nintendo Snoopy tabletop, with B/C, for 90 cents! A lady picked it up off the new items cart just as I turned the corner, and put it in her cart!

ARGH!

I even offered her $20 to let me buy it, but no, she wants to give it to her 11-year-old kid!

I had visions of the kid trashing it or not being interested at least, so I filled her in a bit on its value at that point, and it turns out she is an antique dealer, and she assured me her son would take care of it.

So I felt a little better, but now I think it will end up going to waste in some antique mall, overpriced for the clientèle. And I can tell myself that they had it priced so low at the thrift store because it was broken! Twisted Evil
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,I don't want to bother you asking these things, but how often you find nowdays in those "mythical" thrift store or in those, even them, "mythical" garage sales,our games? And when you find them generally how are they?
To me ,4000 miles away those places sound like an Eldorado!! Shocked
Looking by the auctons in eBay the estates sales are a great place to find good stuff!And this is such a strange thing because here in Europe, when you buy a house you "buy the house" not what's inside it!The previous owner takes everything with him in his new house and dosn't get rid of the old stuff!

Alex
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex, well, very rarely do I find our vintage games in thrift stores and garage sales. My collection would be a mere shadow of what it is if not for eBay. That's what made the Snoopy such a bummer, I was about due for a find considering all the time I spend schlepping to these places! What I do find a lot are the modern handhelds that I know bring decent money on eBay, which I then sell and use to fund my vintage purchases...
mario101
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sucks, If I could, I'd give you a hug...
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanatron wrote:
Dan,I don't want to bother you asking these things, but how often you find nowdays in those "mythical" thrift store or in those, even them, "mythical" garage sales,our games? And when you find them generally how are they?
To me ,4000 miles away those places sound like an Eldorado!! Shocked
Looking by the auctons in eBay the estates sales are a great place to find good stuff!And this is such a strange thing because here in Europe, when you buy a house you "buy the house" not what's inside it! The previous owner takes everything with him in his new house and doesn't get rid of the old stuff!

I think these 'Estate sales' and 'Garage sales' are the equivalent of what I've heard Europeans call 'Boot sales' (the image I have is a parking lot full of people selling stuff out of the trunks (boots) of their cars)...

A real 'estate sale' is a sale of all (or a majority) of the items in a house of someone who has died. Either there's no will, or the relatives have just opted to unload everything (or they've picked what they wanted, and are selling everything else). You can sometimes literally walk through someone's fully furnished house and choose the things you want to buy.

Lately, people have been using 'estate sale' to mean the same thing as a 'garage sale'- You just pile up a bunch of your 'crap' on tables, your front lawn, the driveway, etc and stick price tags on them and see who stops by to purchase things.... They can actually be quite interesting if you spend an entire Saturday driving around to people's houses that are doing it... You never know what you will find.

Thrift stores are usually stores that take donated items and sell them for charity... Anything like that in Europe? (Salvation Army and Goodwill are the big ones around here.) All sorts of goodies can be found in these places.

Rik
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thrift stores are usually stores that take donated items and sell them for charity... Anything like that in Europe?

Their just called Charity Shops in the UK. They are run by many many different charities throughout the country but the most common is probably Oxfam.

Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: