The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Are these part of the family?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Are these part of the family? Reply with quote

I was thinking about these electromechanical games from Waco dated back to the early 70's.
I allready have two poker games that I got for little money, but I was wondering if they all be considered for an handheld collection.Like these :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-WA.....dZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Wa.....dZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-El.....dZViewItem

If not,why not?

Alex
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,
The Waco Computer Derby is in the Museum in the Misc section and I've put more info about it on the Forum

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677

I also have the Roulette boxed. I plan to put some info on the Forum about it when I get chance.

These two games have a very prominant place in my collection. The pic below was taken before I won my Roulette.

I would Love that Dice game to go with them. I have only seen one before. I wonder if this would complete the set or are there more versions? Does anybody know?

I consider them to be as or more valid to be in my collection than several other games I have. I think their great Very Happy

I also have one of those '21 Blackjack' games but it is not with the rest of my collection as I bought it when I was just starting collecting and I didn't realise how different it was, e.g. no lights involved in the gameplay at all.

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Waco round games are definitely fair game... I never really considered the slot-machine types ones though, as they are just little mechanical spring-loaded games... But, I have no problem adding them if people think they are 'valid'. Mr. Green
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they are just little mechanical spring-loaded games...

Yes ,but as far as I know they are battery operated,without batteries they wont spin.Can they be more worthy to be in a collection than most of the mechanical wind up Tomys?
What and where is the border,the discriminant?
From the FAQ :
Quote:
Does a handheld have to be held in your hands?
No, a handheld can sit on a table, the floor or your wrist for that matter. Although most
handhelds, like video game controllers, are indeed held in the hands.

Does a handheld have to take batteries?
Yes...and no! In order for a game to be classified as a handheld, it must use batteries. It can
contain motors, but they must be powered by batteries. You won't find a game on this list
that doesn't have normal batteries of some sort, except in the case of solar power and AC
only games. (There have also been a couple of non-battery, wind up handhelds added, mostly
Tomy)

Does a handheld have to have lights (lcd's, led's, lights, vfd's)?
No. Some games that I would classify as handhelds have no lights. A more important
description is that they have to have some kind of interaction with the user, whether it is
lights, sounds or anything else.

What would I consider to be a game?
I consider a game to be anything that the user has to interact with. It can mean shooting down
aliens, scoring touchdowns and avoiding bad guys, or it can mean drawing and making music.

Alex
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanatron wrote:
Yes ,but as far as I know they are battery operated,without batteries they wont spin.Can they be more worthy to be in a collection than most of the mechanical wind up Tomys?
What and where is the border,the discriminant?

Yeah, I'm guilty of a little 'rule violation'. For some reason I kind of took a liking to the little wind up Tomy games in the 'Pocket Arcade' series... That's the only reason I put them on the site. I haven't tried to add any of the 'Pocketeer' games (the earlier Tomy windup games) to the site either, just the Pocket Arcade... Maybe it's because they say 'Arcade' on them. Mr. Green

Technically, I try to focus on games that use electrical power in some way (Usually batteries, but some are solar, and even a few are AC powered).

The only slot-machine type poker game I ever saw was one that Radio Shack made that I think was just a mechanical toy.... But it might have a little motor in it and thus takes a battery...

But, if we have pics and info on them, I'll put them in the Museum... No problem there. Cool
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was making a more subtle consideration:when you make a collection of some items ,you know what to buy and what not to buy.You don't have to many margins of discretion,whether you collect coins ,stamps.....cars or whatever.But since I started collecting this question kept puzzling my mind:where is the difference between a simple child game,not worth of any collecting or at best belonging to other types of collections,and what is considered a HANDHELD or a TABLETOP.Take the Coleco Space Blaster or the BigTrack or the Milton Bradley Star Bird.
I bought in France this BLUE Box game :

It has a real LCD screen it makes a LOT of noise and is quite like some Tomy games.
Can this be included?Or it's just one of the thousends electronic toys worth ,from a collectible point of view,nothing?
Again I'm asking me(you).Where are the borders?Year of manifacturing? Size?Exterior aspects?orTechnical reasons like being run on any type of electric power?

Alex

Ps-I too collect the Arcade Tomys.They are nice and just like theyre battery powered cousins.

Last edited by tanatron on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to say that that type of large flight/racing game would never be in my collection as they mostly have LCD screens. If they had VFD screens I would be torn as to wether to collect them or not. Their size and controls would put me off somewhat, as does their somewhat tacky design.

I can see people such as Linda or Rik could collect these games for compeatism but I think even they would be put off by their lack of desirability.

The borders for my collection would be :-

Bulb, LED or VFD 'display' of some sort (must light up in some way) but I do have 1 or 2 exceptions.

Must be powered in some way to light the 'display'

Made no later than 1985 (as that's when the VFD games stopped being made).

Must be a game and not a toy. E.g. try to achieve something like bettering your high score not just driving around like Bigtrak.

Must not cost more than about £30 including P+P Wink.

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Neil, here you go:

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Bandai/SpaceHurricane.htm

Do you collect it or not? Mr. Green Mr. Green
That's the biggest VFD screen game I have seen... (But it also looks cool, so it's got that going for it.)

As for what to collect, I used to have the Tomy Turnin' Turbo Dashboard, and ended up selling it... while they are definitely worthy of inclusion into the online Museum database, they just aren't for me as far as collecting. The only really big game I have is the Afterburner tabletop:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/Afterburner.htm
Which I'm convinced is just the handheld Afterburner put in a _HUGE_ case...

These are some of my criteria for what I actively collect:
Brand for some games (anything Actronics/Hanzawa, Coleco, Entex and Mattel I'd go after)
Anything with a full LED display* or VFD display.
In most cases, any game based on a real arcade game (made pre-1987ish)
In some cases, any game based on a movie (made pre-1990ish)
Most LCD games pre-1982/1983 (like Tigers especially).

And then the catch-all: Any game that I think is just kinda cool in some way...

Regardless of the 'guidelines', I tend to gear my collection to pre-1985 games. But I will, of course, put anything and everything on the website...

* 'Full LED' display means a game that actually has large quantity of LEDs used as a play field, not just one or two (and not just LED digits for score). This usually means various Space Invaders clones and all the LED sports games from the early days...

Rik
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think I'll go after this rule without the risk of becoming paranoic in the search of the holy Graal! Laughing
After all it is a hobby and when a hobby looses it's fun appeal you might as well drop it.So I'll try to go day by day and look atthe games with the eyes of a child.

Alex
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Space Hurricane would look great next to my Coleco Zaxxon and looks like an upscaled Romtec Cosmic Invaders

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Romtec/CosmicInvaders.htm .

I would definately like to have one in my collection.

The one thing that puts me off it a little bit is the size of the joystick, but I bet that joystick makes it one of Linda's all time favourite games Twisted Evil

Quote:

this is how I've got my few colour LCD and no light games Wink

Neil.
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the size of the joystick, but I bet that joystick makes it one of Linda's all time favourite games

NEIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: