The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Atari 2600 Ultimate Super Rarity on eBay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Atari 2600 Ultimate Super Rarity on eBay Reply with quote

Anyone else interested in Atari games? The biggest Atari find ever, the never-before seen box for the mysterious game "Air Raid" (and the cart too) is on eBay, ending today. Currently at $13,877.78!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110514343174
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, it ended at $31,600!

It's funny, I've always said that rare items will triple in value during the final seconds of the bidding frenzy... Even something as expensive as this nearly holds to that...

Rik
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some serious cabbage. And the buyer is known to the community, no kid bidding for kicks here.

When is handheld collecting going to take off, so my Black Knight box can fund my retirement? Wink
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the only Atari 2600 game that looks like that? I ask as many years ago I saw a advert in a local paper and did a deal for a whole pickup load of Atari stuff with most being 2600 items from a 30-40ish "slightly slow" guy that lived with his mom in a trailer park and they had to move out after living there for many years, so I ended up with the boxes of mostly parts systems, controlers, empty boxes, instructions. I remember a smaller box of small odd and ends that was in one of those grocery store tote boxes that had some odd looking games in it with one looking like the game cartridge in the eBay auction. I don't even remember if the cartridge had a lable on it or not. But I still remember that cartridge as I found it's shape and color interesting. There were some other game carts that had switches and buttons on them also as well as cart parts and such. From what I remember they were not all Atari 2600 cartridges as some were bigger. I never paid much attention to that stuff as I wasn't collecting video game items back then as I am now.

I say that I remember that stuff as it is all boxed up and stored in one of the old school busses around my yard. I haven't looked through that stuff in over 20 years. Will be interesting when I get around to it some day, but I don't see that as being any time soon as that will have to wait as the area the bus is in is overgrown with brush and weeds and I have other areas in my yard that I'm working on these past few years.

It can be a full time job trying to keep up with the things that grow around my place when the spring weather comes. I have been out wacking weeds around the yard today and I'm just in for a break right now.
I have created a interesting world with my private salvage yard hoard that has possible hidden treasure anyway Wink
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I got to see (and touch) this very game about a week later as the new owner brought it to a little gaming show to show off... Very cool seeing it in person, I guess his goal is to open an Atari museum some day, and he wants every game ever made in the best condition possible...

As for the design, there are other cartridges with the T-handle design, but as far as I know Air Raid is the only one that's blue. So if you remember a blue T-handle cartridge, that's probably it. The other T-handles I know of were released in Brazil, so being found in the US is a little less common. Here's a picture of one:
http://bluebuddies.com/gallery.....tridge.jpg

Are all these things safe from the elements in your vehicles? I'd hate to think of the vehicles leaking when it rains, or getting really hot/cold and destroying everything... Some plastics, rubber and glues (and especially styrofoam) don't like drastic climate changes much... I just found things in my parents attic that are pretty much destroyed because of the heat up there (granted, they live in Texas...)

I'd just hate to think if you opening a vehicle and finding a bunch of moldy old games/boxes...

Rik
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that link and just saw a block with writing about smurffs.

As for if stuff survives well where it is packed away. I have found that most stuff does quite well around here as far as that goes if it is put away well. I was in one of the old school busses about a month back that I hadn't been in for many years and I found that things were much the same as when I was in there last. About all I find is a few wasp type nests now and then and mice and such will get in now and then, but I don't have much of a mouse problem as I have wild cats living in the yard that are always around, but you don't see them much.

The Atari stuff is boxed up well and I have found that the temp changes don't seem to bother stuff when it is left undisturbed and it is packed away well. That old bus is a 1955 Chevy and had been redone so the seals on it for keeping the weather out are good and most of the windows are covered over. I have it pretty much mouse proof and I have the things in there on pallets with good tarps over the boxes.

That old bus has many interesting things packed away in it as I sort of set it aside years ago as a bit of a time capsule Wink
It was back in the day when there wasn't much here at the time.
That old Chevy bus was a nice ride at one time and I drove it on many a road trip on down the road. Went a few states away with it now and then. I had it done up as a camper type bus, but after I parked it I took that stuff out of it and used it for storage of what I wanted to put aside untill later.

So I would say that the stuff in that old bus is doing well as it is in the shade most of the year as there are medium sized cedar trees around it.
I use the old school buses and vans for storing some of the "good stuff", I also have many old trailer homes that I use. I keep most of my collection that I have put together in the last 7 years in the climate controled tralier home that I spend alot of my time in. I also have a few other smaller "hanging out" areas around my place that are heated and cooled as needed.

Some may think I live a bit primitive, but I find that I can be very comfortable here as it is my type of environment and it works well for me Very Happy
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:
I tried that link and just saw a block with writing about smurffs.

Well, it is a smurf game that's linked there... Smile Here, this should just show up in the forum:

That's what it looks like... I didn't realize it was a smurf site though... Hehe...

Sounds like you might have some fun re-discovering stuff around your property when you eventually unpack everything... I do they in my storage facility every now and then, but nothing has been in there for more than a few years... Cool

Last edited by Rik on Fri May 28, 2010 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the only accept jpg referrals from their own site somehow.

Wonder how they do that? I think Rik could find a use for that!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, dang it, how's that! Mr. Green

Now I see what's going on, I guess I went to the site once, so then it remembered me... I've been seeing the cartridge image all along, but when I tried from another computer, I got the image you guys are talking about. That's what I get for linking to another site. Rolling Eyes So I uploaded it locally, now you should see it!

There's little Java scripts you can run on your site to prevent that kind of thing... Maybe I should look into that someday... I don't mind people linking to images for fun stuff (like posting in forums 'I used to have this!' and such), it's when they do it for eBay auctions that I get annoyed... Maybe you can code the script to only notice if it's coming from ebay.com or something... (BTW, when this happens, usually if you re-fresh the image, or click on the URL bar and just hit enter, the image will change to the actual image, since it no longer thinks you are hot-linking. Works great when trying to look at images found via a Google image search...)

Sometimes it's kind of fun to Google handheldmuseum.com and see where it's listed. I can also check the access logs and see that a certain .jpg was linked directly from a certain site. I've found some interesting websites that way... Cool

Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: