The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Entex Space Invaders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamemeister
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Entex Space Invaders Reply with quote

Bugger, I won this off EBay and received it today. The unit wont power up unless you contiunually move the batteries around. When I did managed to get life into the unit for a few seconds and start a game there was no sound.

Stupid question but I'm guessing there should be sound in this game?

Ta!

Smile
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is sound, you can open it up and see if the wires are still weld to the speaker (a thin brass round plate). If not it's pretty simple to repair. If they still are it's another story.

Pat
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that can be a pain with these speakers is if the wire popped off the little wafer itself... For some reason I can never get solder to stick back onto these... I just replace the entire speaker (scavenged from another game, or you can usually buy them at Radio Shack or other electronic/gadget stores).

As for the batteries, make sure the contacts are clean in the battery compartment. Then, using a knife or small screwdriver, gently bend all the battery contacts outward a little... That will make the batteries snap in nice and tight, and you shouldn't have a problem with them anymore...

Rik
Mamemeister
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, appreciate the help chaps. I'd already asked to return it to the seller but they've said theres little point and will refund me in full anyway. Nothing to lose I guess.

If anyone has a spare of this they'd selling on I'd appreciate you letting me know.

Very Happy
Mamemeister
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guys, opened it up and lo-and-behold the 2 white wires had become completely detached from the speaker. Since I dont have any soldering equipment, a couple pieces of sticky tape and she was as good as new.

Razz

I was thinking of using a tiny bit of extra strong glue to hold the wires in place, is that advisable?

Thanks again chaps, appreciate the help.

BTW because I'm a good guy I'm about to contact the seller and tell her just to hang to the money since I managed to fix it.

Smile
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the wires are in direct contact with the speaker (glue is not a great conductor) i don't see any problem using it, do you Rik ?

Pat
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not the best connection, but if you can make it stay it should work... You'd have to hold the wires in place, then glue around the edges (I'm assuming there's a solder-blob stuck to the wires? Or did the wires break off leaving the solder on the speaker?) If you put glue under the wire/solder, it probably won't make contact to get the sound through. Do they make conductive glue? That'd be the way to go...

I forget how the inside is layed out, but if you can squish something gently between the speaker and the case holding the wires in place, that'll probably work too... (not too much pressure though, the wafers can crack if bent). Small piece of styrofoam or something...

Rik
LEDFreak
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really is a great game and worth any collection. "Animated" LEDs look fun. And the great thing about this shooter, unlike many others ( even some VFDs that came a little later ) is that you can contunue the game for a long time. It doesn't end when you reach 100, or 1000 points or whatever, or after shooting a number of shots. This makes it more realistic to an arcade game. I wish I would have had this in '80/81.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: