The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adding sounds to the website...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Museum website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Adding sounds to the website... Reply with quote

I'm attempting to add some MP3s of the start-up music created by some handheld games... So far I have 3 online (I just had these sampled already for some reason...):

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Bandai/PairMatch.htm
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Entex/Spiders.htm
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco/Frogger.htm

Can everyone try one or two (or three) and see if they work on your computer/browser? I'm using a PC with Firefox, and they work fine (although I had to re-load the page once to hear the entire thing one Spiders). It looks like it's using Quicktime to play them, so I'm curious if they will work on computers without Quicktime as well...

Let me know if you have any problems making them play. (BTW, the controls for the audio should appear just beneath 'critical game info' at the top of the page, but before the paragraph of 'general information').

Also, if they are too loud for the average computer volume setting, let me know. Mr. Green
Ulysses31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Rik

only one I cant hear is the Spiders one, even after a refresh.
And i dont have QT installed Smile
elepla
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all soundbites work for me!
I'm on OS X with firefox, quicktime installed.

Please check out Handheld Hustlers also. Tom has many great soundbites on his website, especially Casio and Bandai games!

Jaro
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Rik Very Happy

I use good old XP and they opened with Windows Media Player. I had to switch off my 'Zone Alarm' firewall to see them on the page (as I sometimes have to do with other websites). Pair Match downloaded in one go but the other 2 took a couple of goes each.

I retried the pages a few minutes later and Pair Match worked fine but the other 2 refused to show the download button no matter how many times I tried even though the files of the tunes were on my desktop Confused

"the controls for the audio should appear just beneath 'critical game info' at the top of the page"....My controls were just to the right of the Model Number when I could get them to show themselves.

Hope this helps.

Neil.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All work for me in IE on XP. Hey, that rhymes. Laughing I have QT installed so they loaded the plugin.

Are those supposed to autoplay? I had to manually press play. Oh the stress, the anguish. Wink
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I set them to not autoplay since I didn't want someone to accidently blast themselves if they were too loud... Smile They are far from 'hi-fi'...

I think some of the problems people are having is just becuase they are too small... It's kind of like the codec (QT, Media Player, whatever) wants to load itself into memory and then continue loading the music file. But they are so small they load into memory too fast, and the player gets confused sometimes...
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all work perfect for me also on XP with IE, i do have quicktime installed, and it evens tells me to press spacebar or enter to activate and use that control !
nicknicknickandnick
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They worked for me, with Windows 98SE and IE, and it used Windows Media Player 6.4. The first two displayed a slider thingy as well as buttons.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slider thingy !?! I never saw that and I can't get anything but the standard page now Sad . I've tried deleting the downloaded files from the desktop, downloading QT and switching of all my computer security programs but still no luck Crying or Very sad . I think I'd vote for autoplay Confused .

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try Firefox? Cool It'll probably work there.... Hehe...

Take a look at Entex Spiders now, I made it a little link instead. When you click on it, it will open a new, little browser window that just loads the MP3. (Let me know if there's a problem with Pop-Up blockers, but most intelligent ones should allow it to open). (If you don't have Javascript, it should still work but I think it will open a full-sized window, or just act like another webpage that you will have to use the Back button to return...)

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Entex/Spiders.htm

See if that idea works better for those having problem with the embedded player...

(And, if it's using Quicktime, you should get a little slider bar with full control such as start, stop, pause... I think Windows Media Player will do something similar...)

I'm also going to make these longer, maybe repeat the tune a couple of times, or just start recording into the beginning of game play... Hopefully that will eliminate some problems cuased by caching such a little MP3... (At least, I think that's where the problem is...)
LEDFreak
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my OS10, Safari, and Quick TIme they work just fine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Museum website All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: